1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Kudu horns

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Andrew L., Jun 13, 2012.

1. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

I got my first African crap ;D to do lastnight, which was a kudu. The horns appear to have shrunk considerably because I can not fit them back over the skull cap. What do you think happened, and how can I fix this. Soak them in something? I was very thrilled to get to work on this kudu, as I have always wonted to go to Africa to hunt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

never heard of any of them doing that....are you sure you have the right one on the right side? i myself enjoy african work over north american trophys...i don't regard them as crap, just money in the bank

3. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

also are you trying to put the horns back on with the whole core still on the skull plate if so cut them off leaving only 6" or so for the horns to slip down over
  4. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

If they don't fit down to within an inch you either have to soak the horn in luke warm for a day and then attach, or they sent you the wrong skull pretty typical also. if so gring down the cores to fit.

First African A kudu, Good luck with it, does your client know it's your first?

Just wondeirng, Seems like your not very experienced at african and a client's Kudu isn't the thing to start on...IMO

But if you do it as well as you do DEER, I want to see it, Your deer are pretty good..LOL
    Better than mine....I think you'll do okay...have fun with the neck wrinkles....no hair to hide screw ups...LOL
  5. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

Yes, I have them on the right side. I was joking, I am just starting on my first African animal, so I wouldn't know if it was crap. I guess I have been reading on taxi.net to much......lol.

They were already cut when I got them.

Thanks! I have always been an admirer of your work. Especially your finish work.

Yes, I was able to fit them down about an inch or so. I will try soaking them and see what happens. He knows it is my first. Luckely it appeared to have longer hair then usual in the pic.

I hope to get many more African species, as it will probable be as close to Africa as I will get.
  6. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

Thanks for your help guys!
  7. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

Here is a funny story, while he was telling me about his hunt, we started talking about the kudu's skull which was in rough shape when he got it back from Africa. He tells me "Wow, I never knew that all horns were hollow, the cores just stop growing right there" (which was about 6" high were the skinners had cut them)....lol
  8. Tell him they have eyes in the end of the horns, like a pit viper has pits. Sees infra red.
  9. James Marsico

James Marsico Active Member

The last half dozen Kudu I have recieved and in fact most Kudu are measured by the PH and client in the field with drinks and egos all around and they ALWAYS measure them at least 4 to 6" longer then than what you can ever come up with. Tip for in the future: NEVER open the AF crate alone if your client lives close to you; make him help you open the box and see in person that the one you recieved with his name on it was the one thats is his and that you have not switched out his "56 inch" Kudu on him with a smaller one. OR video the opening start to finish. Tip two: Charge what may seem like high prices to "you" for AF taxidermy or you will loose money on them, may hate them and regret the day they ever showed up in your shop.
  10. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

hey dennis what would you reccommend to start on, would love to do african work some day.
  11. hunter32

hunter32 New Member

hey, john griffith has a great tutorial on this site, he shows how to mount a kudu and fix all of the problems that go with it, check it out
  12. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

I definitely agree with that.

I seen it. It is a great tutorial! Wish there was one on doing the finish work.
  13. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

Just went through his tutorial again and realized he went over the issue with the horns shrinking. Sorry guys.
  14. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

My PH was totally surprised when I put the tape on the eye to nose measurement FIRST, before I measured the horns. I think he realized that when I told him I wanted good looking animals, not necessarily the biggest, that I really meant it. The other hunter in camp went home with a notebook page full of measurements for his taxidermist, too.