1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lake Country LB repro

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by tmf48, Jun 14, 2012.

1. I just got my first repro from Lake Country. Compared to the Arp series I have used I was somewhat disappointed in the Lake Country. The scale detail seems really shallow. Also, I ordered it "ready to paint" but was told when ordering that the pectoral and pelvic fins would be left unattached to make painting easier. It was shipped with these fins attached and the pectoral fins are curled up really bad. What is the best way to straighten these fins out? Anyone else had this experience with LC?

2. ryanstraw

ryanstraw my first brook trout on a fly 13"

Never ordered a repro larger fish from them but I have ordered the repro baitfish. I believe they are made of the same plastic material as the larger fish fins. If so all you would have to do is pop them in the microwave for a few seconds, straighten them out when warm and hold it in place under cold water to quickly cool it down to hold its shape. hope this helps.

-Ryan

3. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Use a hair dryer to heat the fins and straighten them

4. Lake Country packages their fish really well, but the foam they use produces heat as it expands and often curls the fins. A few seconds with a heat gun and they can be straightened right out.

5. den007

den007 Active Member

LCR replicas are some of the best available. Shallow scale detail> compared to what??????

The fins are easily heated with a blow dryer and can be shaped any way you like. Minor inconvenience compared to thick, opaque, clunky fins out there that in no way resemble real fins.

Replicas......yes.....some experience required to finish. It gets easier and easier and still folks complain. Hard to believe if they had ever finished a truly rough blank from the good ol' days.

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

That's interesting, I thought Dennis' repos were cast from actual fish and not mounts.

7. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Yeah that statement is not correct. I just asked Phil helms that exact question on Friday and he said they are molded from FROZEN fish. FROZEN. not mounted. We talker quite a bit about the line as many of the new 3d largemouths were caught by phil himself

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

Thanks Jimmy, I wouldn't think they would do that.

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Jimmy is right, it's my understanding the Arps are not mounted fish. That being said, molding a mounted fish isn't a poor method, as some of the best fish taxidermists in the world have molded fish this way. They do have to be mounted correctly of course. It is also my belief that a mounted and dried fish has a flatter look to the scales since they lack moisture, which is the opposite of Ken's opinion.

As for LCR replicas, some are better than others. I got a crappie one time where the scales on the entire side of the fish were drawn in with a tool. Not one real molded scale on the entire fish, just some tooling scratch marks. For the prices they charge I have found better fish elsewhere.

10. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Jimmy's post is correct. I was standing there with Jimmy fixing to buy the ARPS LMBass (which I did) that Phil Helms had at the McKenzie table in Alabama. He also said the heads are molded separately from the frozen specimens. ;)

11. Thanks for the info guys. I did use the hair dryer trick on the fins and works great! The fins on the LC are very realistic, just wish the pec and pelvic fins had been left unattached. As for the rest of it I definitely appreciate your input! Thanks

12. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

First off, IF you talk to John or Nathan at LCR and simply request to attach ALL fins, they will do it for free. (At least they did for me - you might need some volume to justify the no-cost here). It's a little easier to paint with some of those fins off but I don't have a problem painting with them on. Less work for me to do. You can actually heat them up a bit with a hair dryer to move them out of the way for painting underneathe and then re-heat them carefully again with the blow dryer after the body of the fish is painted. I've even had zero problems heating them up after painting the fins/before glossing. Secondly, stay away from the microwave to heat and bend - bent fins. You're only asking for trouble there. First, you might cook them too long. And secondly, who knows what kind of toxins would be released. Use a hair dryer or CAREFULLY wave a heat gun around the bent fins to reshape. Dip in water to set.

Ken, I've only done a couple of handfuls of Arp 3D reps, mostly bass and one walleye. And every single one was molded from a fish - frozen I guess, but not a mounted fish that's for certain. They're nice and easy to finish. Right up there with LCR's IMO...

13. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Not all fish have great detail, therefore not all fish from ANY repro company is perfect. I have personally molded dozens fish that had great detail, but I have had a few that the scales just laid flatter on. Fish are just like people, "not all are perfect specimens". ;D Also, detail could depend on curve. Inner curve may have less detail than outer on cupped fish.
    Either way you'll see the more you do, EVERY supplier has fish you'll just have to work with in one way or another.....
    best,
    Steve

14. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Just curious...if one molds a mounted fish what do you do about the seam? I don't mold fish yet.