1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hide Paste

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Troy Rose, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Troy Rose

Troy Rose Learning...one of life's greatest treasures!

I've been using the Dynamite Heavy Duty Wall 111 Clay Covering Adhesive for 15 plus years...The company has changed names a few times over the years, but the product still seems to be the same. I can say the price has almost doubled in the last 5-7 years. It use to run about $27 for a five gallon bucket. The last bucket I just bought cost me $52. I use to add 10 lbs of Dextrine(mixed first) and a case of DAP Latex Caulk plus Silicone in Brilliant White(Contractors Pack). The caulk has also doubled in price as well. You will need a paint mixer of some sort that goes on your drill to mix the caulk and paste and an empty 5 gallon bucket to put one half of the paste in. Anyhow, I was getting BAD mold build up. Tried all sorts of things to curb it but no such luck. I completely quit using the Dextrin and my mold problem went away. Just don't leave anything in the bucket to contaminate it...i.e wood handled paint brush(use a plastic one). So bottom line, between the past and the caulk it makes great hide paste, easy clean up and great work time at a third of the cost of some of the actual "Hide Paste" the Supply Companies sell. I am still able to purchase the paste at Sherwin-Williams Paint Stores. You can get the caulk at Home Depot. Between the two(5 gallons of past and one case of caulk) it makes about seven gallons.

[​IMG]

Dynamite® 111
    Heavy Duty Clay Non-Strippable Wallcovering Adhesive
    Maximum dry adhesion
    Prevents seam spreading and curling
    Strong wet tack

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I never get mold in mine and I'm using straight dextrine and 111, do you think the caulk causes the mold??

3. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Probably a dumb question, but what does the dextrin do for it?

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

It's a glue.... gives it more tack.

5. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

No mold here either. 111 and dextrine. Don't use caulk. Maybe it is the caulk.

6. dougp

dougp Active Member

I have a 5 gal. pail of 111 for my fish. No additives and I have a major mold problem. I've used the Sherwin Williams "Roman Pro 732" with no mold probs. ever....????? I like the tack of 111 but don't need the mold hassle.

DougP

7. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I turn the oven to broil and it browns in seconds so you have to watch and stir often.
    [​IMG]