1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Attempt at first fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by djf8653, Jun 17, 2012.

1. djf8653

djf8653 Member

ohio
    I am attempting to do my first fish, 4 to be exact. They are all bluegill under 6 inches long. I was wondering how to go about tanning them. I have done many game heads and some birds so I know skinning and fleshing but what about scales and find? Also what do you do with the heads?

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

2. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,308503.0.html

If you read this tutorial on mounting a LMB, it will help with understanding some of the dynamics.
    Best, Scott

3. den007

den007 Active Member

Under 6 inches? Have you considered freeze drying?

4. joegentry14

joegentry14 New Member

I think im gonna skin mount a couple of minnows this weekend... ;D

5. IDForkHorn

IDForkHorn Common sense just isn't that common anymore

That was what i was thinkin! And Good luck!!!!!!!!!

6. 1fish2fish

HMMM......How big was Paul's Goby?

Good idea. You might learn something from that.

7. djf8653

djf8653 Member

ohio
    Really don't care what you are doing this weekend or what you are thinking, I was asking for tips for mounting my first fish. I don't care if it is 2 in or 12ft. it is all the same. Just because you would not take the time to mount a small fish does not mean someone else wouldn't. Maybe I should have not included the size of the fish so all the simple minds would not feel the need to post useless comments.

8. 1fish2fish

djf8653,
    I refer to my first post. The link should help.
    Best, Scott

9. 1fish2fish

Also Den's recommendation was a good thought, I wouldn't hold it against him. Molding and casting is pretty easy to learn on this size of fish as well.
    Best, Scott

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

djf, what's with the attitude. Many of us simply don't think of doing a fish that size the hard way. Sometimes we do need to step back and revisit the past I suppose, but having been there, it's not very enticing. A fish that small CAN be conventionally mounted. There was a time before freezedrying when that was the only option though half-cast was the way we did them. They are difficult at best and like trying to mount a hummingbird, you're going to need to be very careful in everything you do with them.

11. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

They CAN be done though!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That isn't me BTW.

I sure wouldn't advise trying that for a first, though.

12. 1fish2fish

Done nicely I'd add.

13. djf8653

djf8653 Member

ohio
    Conventional methods will work, but I feel if you are going somewhere you have to know where you came from. My thought is by doing these little fish I will begin to learn the techniques that are used to do bigger fish. If I have the patience and focus to complete the small ones then the big ones in theory should be a little easier. Also I would like to learn something because the more you know the more marketable you are especially in the taxidermy field. Freeze-drying will work perfectly but will teach me nothing, and as the saying goes you get out of something what you put in. I looked at the thread and it was very helpful so thank you for that, also the only real attitude was directed towards the minnow comment nothing else and who knows maybe I will do a minnow to test myself.

Thank you everyone for all your replies

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Well that may sound idyllic but its not factual. It's easier to learn anatomy on a large specimen simply because you can see it better. The skin want be as fragile. You're implying the learning curve should be reversed. Given the choice, would you mount a humming ird before attrmpting a pheasant; a shrew before a raccoon; or perhaps an unborn fawn before a mature buck?

15. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

X2 what George said. A bigger fish would be much easier. Expect to pop an awful lot of scales on those little buggers your first attempts. I honestly think a bluegill is one of the hardest fish to mount well. Perch and walleye are great starter fish as they are darn tough and relatively easy to paint.

16. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Exactly right. Take this advice, dude.

17. joegentry14

joegentry14 New Member

Sorry if i offended you d. i didn't realize we couldn't joke on here. i wasn't trying to criticize you or anything else. that was just my way of saying what George said. start with something a little easier and work your way up. you don't start a wood working hobby by framing a three story house. Its really up to you what you want to start with. good luck and post some pics of those gills when you're done.

18. 1fish2fish

Joe,
    Good of you to chime back in. I'd say no harm, no foul. I'd just add that if you are going to joke, it helps to be constructive or informative, or it may not be very funny to folks asking for help. Tough to tell a good joke when you don't know your audience too.
    Best, Scott

19. joegentry14

joegentry14 New Member

Yeah you're probably right. Sorry about that.

20. djf8653

djf8653 Member

ohio
    Okay advice taken and thanks for all of the help everyone.