1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wondering what glue you use for your skulls?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by cattledog, Jun 18, 2012.

1. I decided i wanted to order some Paraloid to start sealing all my skulls.But the problem is,iv been using Super Glue for my skulls.Holds good,but i realize i cant put them in an Acetone mixture without it dissolving the glue.I read Elmers somewhere,but doesnt that dry really slow?I always just thought of Elmers as a Elementary school glue,lol.Would love to hear your opinions,Thanks.Ross

2. Guus

Guus Member

I use hardly anything else then Elmer's (or wood glue as it is called in Europe). No discoloring, strong and tough and easy to get rid of by soaking in water if needed. There are pretty fast drying wood glues on the market nowadays and the drying time often comes in handy while gluing a skeleton together where you need a certain flexibility between the bones during articulating.

3. I use a combo of wood glue and hot glue from a glue gun (the glue gun is only used for jawbones on larger mammals).

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

What Guus said. Elmer's. Instant gratification is not always the best way to go with skulls. Assemble carefully and Elmer's gives you time to do it. It dries clear, does not yellow and is very strong. If you make a mistake, you can soften it with a soak in water and correct the error. Lower jaws, I put glue in the joint and hold with rubber bands. I set the teeth in the sockets and glue .. and then hold the jaws closed while the glue is drying. As it dries, I adjust the position of the teeth so that they are all aligned and mesh properly. As for the paraloid, the dunk you give it will not loosen the glue. Sometimes I do notice that the Elmer's turns white but this is temporary .. and you shouldn't have glue all exposed in the joints anyway. :) Paraloid can also be dissolved in denatured alcohol but I do not know if that affects Elmer's or not.

5. Thanks for all the replys.Im gonna start using Elmers then.Now,with the skulls already in my collection that were put together with super glue.Will a quick dunk in the Paraloid dissolve the super glue or only if its soaked for a prolonged amount of time?Thanks again,Ross.

6. Yeah elmers takes a bit to dry. But after spending a week of rotting, months degreasing, whats another day?

7. I use several glues, including elmer's (like the rest), fast set super-glue, also a glue that dries and foams outward, but,
    my primary glue of choice is paleo bond (100 strength).
    It's kinda pricey, and you need to order it, but the bottles come with user friendly tips, that fit into tight spots.
    I also use the accelerator spray, and have a bottle of paleo de-bonder, for shifting or mistakes.

8. Sea Wolf

Acetone will remove superglues, though I don't know how long you will have to soak it for. I've never used that on skulls so I've never had to do it. Acetone will also remove any surface grease or oils and help new applications of glue adhere better.

9. I mainly use superglue, but I often work on small species. I had no issues pointed here with it. I tried wood glue for gluing teeth on a big hyena skull (for a customer) and it worked very well. So now I will use it for big things, and teeth on bigger specimens. I want to put it too to build the ribcage from the bird you sent me Guus.

Depend on quantity. I did yesterday on 2 small monkfish bones, took 1 or 2 hours.

10. skullduggery

skullduggery Member

We've been using Duco cement for 35 years with no complaints

11. AH7

AH7 New Member

I used to use Duco long ago too. It is NOT a stable glue. Sometimes it can yellow - no clue why. And it can also attract moisture and expand. Actually, elmers can do both these things too, but I still use elmers most of the time. I figure, it is basically made of bone (collagen at least) so why not use it on bone.

If I am doing a specimen for serious museum purposes, then I usually just use paraloid. Mixed very thick, it can be used as glue. It's not as sticky initially and it can take a while to fully harden, but it is chemically the most stable option.

With that said, most museums I work with use elmers on their stuff too!

PA, does the Carnegie? Wouter?

12. Sea Wolf

Agreed on Duco. I have had it yellow badly as well as get brittle and come apart in pieces. Actually, I haven't seen it for a while and assumed it was no longer made.

13. I use pudding.

14. AH7

AH7 New Member

Pudding works too but can make your skull yellow or brown if you use banana or chocolate flavor. If you stick with vanilla, mixed with 99.99% paraloid or elmer's then you'll be fine.

15. Sea Wolf

And if it gets dirty, you can lick it off. :)