1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer in Yard Behaving Strangely - Sick?? Safe to Work With Hide?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by RedWolf7, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

I agree Michael, good for you. There are some low people in the world and I cannot stand a poacher either. I hope they do something about this.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. John L

John L Active Member

So, what happened? Inquiring minds want to know.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Look guys, the word "poacher" is misused too often and it dilutes the dastardliness of the low-lifes who commit it. This guy violated a game law and should be prosecuted for it, but he wasn't a poacher. He's just another ill-informed, uneductated dolt that lives among us. His actions are no different that the bunny huggers who find "lost" fawns this time of year, take them home, give them warm cow's milk, and as a result, kill them. Texas should make him a poster boy so that this information gets out there to the millions of other idiots just like him.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Reminds me of my first DNR inspection, the CO told me a story of where he just came from an old gentlemen's residence, where he had to write a ticket. The old feller went to Gander Mountain and bought a shotgun to kill a Turkey that was under his bird feeder, he didn't tell the salesman what his intent was, until the following day after what he had done, he returned to the store to thank them for selling him the shotgun that got rid of the pesky turkey. The store called the DNR and turned him in.

5. Well Michael, did you call the game wardon? What happen?

6. RedWolf7

RedWolf7 Member

You are a certified nut. A possibly rabid animal will not leave his yard, it attacks his dogs, and he's just supposed to let it stay there ...until what? It succumbs to rabies? That could take several days. would it be different if it were a raccoon or a skunk? What makes a deer any different from either of those? Nothing. You're acting like somebody pooed on the church altar. It is not logical. I know who you are, too. So what? Is stalking people your hobby? Get a life.

7. RedWolf7

RedWolf7 Member

I'll tell you what happened. A bunch of deer worshipping treehuggers are having a fit because someone I know who lives way out in the sticks shot a deer that was attackign his dogs in his yard and refused to be spooked off after 3 days of effort. At his veterinarian's advice he burned the entire carcass to eliminate any possiblity of rabies virus being transmitted. If it had been a raccoon or a skunk it would have been perfectly OK to rid oneself of a rabid animal, but let it be a deer, and the bambi lovers go nuts. The same people who would probably shoot a coyote just because it exists. No logic, irrational in the extreme. And in addition, one of them has turned stalker. I will not stand for threats to my family...no need to say more.

8. George

Look, if you need to rationalize the idiocy of what you're saying is understandable but still ignorant. Feed that bull$hit to someone who doesn't know deer. That carcass was burned to destroy evidence- nothing more. Any veterinarian who even implies that deer had rabies should have his license removed. There's a helluva lot if difference between an ETHICAL conservationist and a bunny hugger. The guy who shot the deer is either a poacher it an ignorant clodhopper. Your choice.

9. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

I would have done the exact same thing MP did. I have no tolerance for ignorant jerks killing wildlife without reason. I have deer in my yard year round. Hell they will come right up to the window bird feeders. I have never once thought a deer had something wrong with it for being in my yard. And FYI the deer was probably trying to defend itself or its baby from the dogs. The deer belongs there the dogs don't. I hope the people that did this get fined to the max. No one except a professional (ie game warden) should have the right to decide if the animal was ill and in need of putting down. Three days and they couldn't pick up a phone to have the wardens come look at the animal. Ridiculous.

10. Geauxtigers1421

Geauxtigers1421 New Member

I have seen many deer that will walk up to a human or a dog and not be afraid. I've even had deer walk through my neighborhood and walk on the middle of the most crowded streets in the whole city during the middle of the day. Deer, along with every other animal was here before we were. We built around them and the more we build, the closer they will get to us. Even if the doe didn't have fawns around, why shoot it after 3 days without contacting the local authorities first like mentioned above? The deer "head butted" the dogs AFTER they tried to chase it out. Every animal is different just like every human. Yes, most deer would probably run but there is some that will stand their ground. That doesn't mean anything is wrong with them or they are sick. And if it did have fawns, it was obviously protecting them. Just like any other animal and human being, if it felt its fawns we're in danger, it was protecting them. Point is, your friend committed a crime whether they thought right or not and should be turned in. Like Michael stated previously, many folks put a lot of money into managing deer and hunting them LEGALLY. If people shot every deer that came near them because they felt "threatened", the ones following the law are spending their money and countless hours on a lost cause and the herd population would eventually go down the drain. If not fined, they won't learn there lesson and think its okay to walk up the the deer and put a bullet in their heads while not in season....

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Yes I did, she (the Game Warden) said the fawn was more than likely staying in the yard because she had fawns in the yard.

I have not followed up, and will not. I did what I did and now it's out of my hands.
    I never threatened you, there's another one of your irrational thoughts. All I said is I would turn you into the Game Warden for killing that deer out of season after 3 days without ever picking up the phone and contacting a professional for advice.

So now a citizen turning to law enforcement so it can be peacefully handled Is 'threatening and a stalker?' I guess I will contact them again tomorrow and let them know that you 'will not stand for me turning you in'. That my friend IS a threat and it once again is noted and screen shot.

By the way, I am not a stalker, I simply inserted your email address into google and it sent me straight to your Facebook page..... in case you wanted to know. See I have no reason to hide anything.... or in your language, burn & destroy evidence.

12. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

I have never heard of a Rabid Deer ........lol
    Hope it didn't bite their dogs ..........lol

13. Good for you Michael. You did justice to that deer and her fawns if she did had some near by.

14. newbie2008

newbie2008 New Member

Stand ur ground Michael!!! What he did was wrong. There is no doubt the doe had a fawn or fawns. She acted the way she did to protect and or draw attention away from her bedded fawn(s). The same way a mother kill deer will do...getting to close to her nest. Acting like her wing is broke and dragging it to take the attention away from her babies. Common sense would say if he suspected the deer had rabies in the first place and you KILLED her wouldn't you be smart enough to have her tested instead destroying her for gods sake? Probably good advice by your attorney....you should tip him well. Make sure you take aim when the fawn(s) come out and fall in your yard. BTW...if the fawns come out staggering and fall in your yard and struggle to get up? IT'S NOT RABIES CAPTAIN OBVIOUS, IT'S STARVATION BECAUSE YOU KILLED THEIR HEALTHY MOTHER!!!!

15. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Soooo...........Can Deer actually Contract Rabies?
    I never heard of it.

16. George

They CAN contract rabies, but it is very rare as deer are simply skiddish animals that flee any danger. An animal contracting rabies also has an extremely short lifespan (usually less than 3 days) as they avoid water (that's why they call it "hydrophobia"). This deer never had rabies and it's actions were typical of either a doe with fawns or with an habituated deer used to human contact. YouTube has several videos of doe deer attacking domestic dogs. One particular one shoes a mule deer doe stomping a mudhole in a couch puppy that came out on the lawn nearly a block away.

17. Jdewitt27

Jdewitt27 New Member

I find it hard to believe that a veterinarian would suggest burning the carcass without sending a tissue sample to be tested, seeing as though this deer attacked the family dogs. Seems to me the vet would want to know just for the sake of the dogs whether it was rabid or not.

18. burtron05

burtron05 There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Texas
    Very RARELY do I respond to anything on here, I usually just sit back, look at the reference pics and tutorials and watch drama unfold. But if it was my dog being attacked I would have shot anything that was attacking it (if i thought my dog were in mortal danger) because 1) its my wife's baby and she would kill ME if I had let something happen to it and2) I've paid a lot of money to have my dog trained to be a bird dog. whether it was an aggressive deer, hog, my neighbors dog or the cattle that an old man has leased on our family land, I would not have hesitated to shoot. We've had aggressive skunks, raccoons and coyotes out there that Ive shot. I'm sure Many of you would do the same, so just because it happens to be a deer that's being aggressive why should the outcome be any different. (Obviously if youve seen her with fawns you try to get it to move to another area first)

I also wouldn't have waited around for 3 days to see what would happen or burnthe carcass. I would have called the game warden as soon as it happened, and told him exactly what happened. We've also had poachers on our land and I'm with MP, it gets my blood boiling...Almost as fast as trying to talk to a liberal :mad: . on one hand ya it sucks killing a deer that just might have been defending her babies, but on the other hand if I was in the same situation I can't say I wouldn't have done same thing, although if it was me it would have been dead within minutes of attacking my dog ;D.

was it right or wrong? That's for the game warden to decide.
    I'm in the next county over (Burleson), I've been hunting all my life, I hate poaching just as much as the next person, etc, etc, blah blah blah....

I just find it annoying that everyone is getting their panties in a bunch just because it was an aggressive deer instead of an aggressive(any other animal). Our deer pop. Is improving but still low, I see maybe 5 bucks a season, and I would have shot anyone of them out of season if it meant saving my dog( and saving my ass from my wife).
    But we don't have kids yet, so our yellow lab is our baby.

And yes I know, no dogs were harmed, no one hurt...yada yada.... I'm just saying if it was me........

Sorry for the rant, but all i know is if that were my dog, my back yard and I was genuinely afraid the deer had rabies, cwd, (or was just plain too aggressive) whatever the case may be. I prob would have shot the damn thing too.

Wouldn't you?

Thats all i got. Thanks and goodnight!!!!!

19. George

NO! And it sounds like you need to get your priorities straight. Would you have allowed your dog to roam free? If you saw a deer making aggressive moves towards your dog, wouldn't you have intervened and gotten your dog away? If you REALLY thought there was a chance the animal was rabid and the precursor to a rabies epidemic, would you REALLY have done what that idiot did? Somehow I don't think "any of the above".

20. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

The right thing to do when have been to call the game warden and let them handle it. It shouldn't have been handled by the property owner. Letting it go on for three days was just plain dumb too. Bring the dogs in the house, and make a phone call. Easy.