1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish repair

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by ausfish, Jun 20, 2012.

1. ausfish

ausfish Member

Hi all hope someone can help . Had fish come in for new paint job and fin repairs before started work noticed paint peeling off fins when i touched fins they started falling apart . Fins still look and feel wet fish was done in 2008 . Can not contact taxidermist who done fish . Have washed fish with DA but still not drying . Any ideas on what original treatment may have caused this ? It is not a very oily fish as i have done many of them.

2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Hey ausfish

Nhat kind of fish is this?
    Do you have a photo of it?
    What kind of humidity do you have thier

May help answer some of your questions

Carl

3. ausfish

ausfish Member

Hi Carl thanks for the reply.The days are 60 df and the nights are 46 df at this time of year with the odd patch of rain. I have done many of these fish before with out any problems like this i think the problem may come from when it was first mounted in 2008.The fish is called a snapper.

Attached Files:

4. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    This looks typical for a saltwater fish done with a borax and water soak
    Not degreased then hung in a shed somewhere for a few years.
    Looks like your going to need a set of artificial fins
    Good luck
    Would like to see it when your done

Carl

5. ausfish

ausfish Member

Thanks Carl will post photo when it is done. Des

6. did the owner have it hanging in a garage or basement?.. I have a mount that was hanging in the garage for a few years and the moisture caused the paint to peel and the fins to weaken.

7. ausfish

ausfish Member

Hi fishfighter no i believe it was hanging inside his house . I will keep going with it the owner wants me to itis a strange problem for me . Des

8. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Looks like you've lost the epidermis, this probably started before the other guy mounted it and he just went and finished the fish hoping it would be ok. If you can find a set of repro fins I would replace them. If you can't, you say you mounted these before you might want to cast your own set and use those. At the very least I would debride the fins with acetone and then seal them with shellac on both sides. Now back the fins with whatever you can find that will be ridgid and will stick to the fins and then rebuild with epoxy putty. Good luck and charge plenty....or you'll regret it on this job. JL

9. den007

den007 Active Member

I think the problem is grease, not water. Not sure simply redoing the fins is going to solve that.

10. ausfish

ausfish Member

Thanks for the reply guys i think i will degrease the fish as much as possible and replace all the fins . I do have molds i can cast some fins from and i also keep the wall side pec fins from the mounts i do for spares . I once had to replace all the fins on one of these fish : the owners dog chewed them all off. ;D Des.