1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Got to love sum customers

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by jasonscustom taxidermy, Jun 22, 2012.

1. I love to hunt fish watch wildlife and be in the outdoors,but mostly spend my days in the shop putting other peoples trophys together.I love it when I get the phone call from customers asking me if I want to go hunt whatever, and I say hell ya,and they say lets go and I say WHAT YEAR,and they say this year.You have done such great work for me ITS ALL ON ME...THen when its time they show up and you go....Yep just happened again.How many of you have had this happen?

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I try to stay away from that personally because if I get something I always feel the need to return it so I would feel obligated to do their mounts as compensation.

I have traded an elk once to send my wife on a trophy ranch hunt and have been invited to go on a few hunts with customers...but in the latter cases I politely decline unless I can pay my way. I just feel in this business no gesture is entirely free or 'on them', there is usually an attachment even though it is not implied.... so I usually decline.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I learned long ago to avoid mixing business with pleasure. Not that I won't accept a fishing or hunting trip with some, but they are long-term faithful customers who won't expect some "favor" in return.

4. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

The bartering system simply doesn't work. Not in taxidermy. In the long run you will be the only one that has to 'pay'. You could be in a crowd of 20 people at a dove hunt. Everyone is there for free. The guy that has the field shoots a white dove and wants it mounted. You tell him it's $375.00 for a dove mount. He informs you that you are hunting his field so you feel bad and do his dove for hunting priviliges. WHY ARE YOU THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS TO PAY WHEN EVERYONE ELSE IS HUNTING FOR FREE!!!! If I can't afford to go on a hunt and pay for it myself then I don't go.......Simple as that!!!!!

5. wings II

wings II New Member

Not tryin to piss in your post toasties Jason, but I have to agree with the others. It's cynical but most clients are inviting you so that they will be on the "preferred" list....they want it cheaper, free stuff thrown in or to get it back sooner. HOWEVER I will say that with those select few long term clients that have paid for trips I "earned my keep" you might say by selecting specimens, skinning and salting, packaging, etc...for the trip home. Like MP says, this keeps you from being obligated to them later on.

6. I was given a 'free' guided horseback elk trip to wilderness area of Idaho by 2 of my better customers. They said they had bought the hunt for a client of their's and surgery prevented him from going so they wanted to offer the paid for hunt to me as a thanks for many years of doing their taxidermy for them. During the hunt they mentioned that they expected an equal amount of taxidermy work in return. Egads, it took 2 years to get back even with them. And I resented it and them for those 2 years. I won't be doing that again.

7. Well this time it is with the one of the shows I am involed with sponcer.He already had the outfitter deal taken care of the only thing is I run camera for him after I shoot mine with bow.We are going 4 days before muzzleloader season(thats when I hunt)he films,then muzzleloader starts and he hunts.Then i camera man for him.He wants the footage for the show.The original camra dude is goin to another place to film one of the other people for the show.Its a good dal.Done it several times before.

8. gab

gab Active Member

once again michael p gave the exact answer i was going to give

9. I think he set in the front of the classroom always holding his hand in the air wiggleing all over like he needed to pee, to answer each question the teacher ever asked going up ....Usually the right answers too..

10. Matt

Matt Active Member

Mike and Harry pretty much summed it up. Somethings are too good to be true and in the end there is bitterness and possibly a loss in client work as a result. If I cannot pay my own way, I don't go.

11. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Hunting is for pleasure, Taxidermy is business . I agree with the others, I don't mix the two. I've had a lot offered to me over the years and I refused them all. If you trade 4000.00 worth of work for a hunt, you could end up with nothing but a 4000.00 camping trip and he will have a 4000.00 piece of artwork that he will enjoy for a lifetime and hand down to his children. Not a very good trade in my book.

12. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

If you paid $4,000 for a guided hunt, you could end up with nothing but a camping trip and the outfitter is $4k richer.
    Am I missing something ?

If it's a trade, I don't see the harm. Both parties are exchanging services, but if you pay "cash" instead of trade, it's still hunting and there are no guarantees in hunting.

Now customers who do you "favours"that's a different story. They always expect a free mount down the road, there are no freebies.
    But freebies and trades are not the same thing. I like trades, but I cringe when someone does me a "favour".

13. George

Yes, you're missing something. In fact, you're missing a LOT. These things never play out as it was described in the original post. This one is no different than a guy showing up with a 200 B&C deer telling me he'll LET me mount it if I give him a break on the price. We are not talking about personal friends, but customers weaseling a way of "getting over" on you. I don't think I've EVER been on a hunting trip where I didn't get asked or volunteer my services in prepping hides - WITH NO EXPECTATIONS IN RETURN. I've been on several "$4000" hunts and came home empty, but I didn't go on that hunt to be a "taxidermist in waiting". I went as a HUNTER and came home with the realizations of other hunters. That's why it's called "hunting". Having paid my own way, even though misguided, I felt that at least I'd be able to recoup some of that money by doing the mounts of those who went with me. (That's called "putting blinders on". I could have stayed home, saved $4000 and STILL gotten the work in.) No one rides for free. Some just pay less than others and as the taxidermist accompanying the group, I feel an expectation above what's usually shared by the other hunters on the trip.

14. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

I hate to admit this, but being in this business has made me very leary of hunting with others. Without fail, a so called hunting buddy always thinks, "we are buddies, so my taxidermy is done for free." Well, IMO that is pure BS. I have one close friend that hunts with me, and never once has he ever asked for a freeby or discount. He understands this is my livelihood. Plain and simple.

15. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Don't think so George, re-read my post, I made the distinction between trades and favours. Other's have posted on here and have lumped them together.
    I've done trades for guided hunts and have come home with new clients work. Other times I've come home empty handed, personally and financially, but that's hunting.
    I've been on traded guided hunts where hunters in camp that were not my customers and had no intention of giving me the work, waited patiently for me to skin their animals. The outfitter and guides sat around waiting for me to skin them as well. When it became obvious that I was not going to work for free, the hunters asked how much I charge for taxidermy and after they agreed to give me the work, then I went to work. If you get suckered into working for free then that's your own fault.
    Again, trades are one thing and favours are another, don't confuse the two.
    But go ahead and pay cash for a guided hunt instead of trade and "good luck" with your HUNTING !

16. Did yall forget this?

17. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Same for me as I'm sure it happens to all of us. My friends don't ask for or expect discounts. I've had "new friends" that when they realized they weren't getting any breaks, stopped hunting with me and found another taxidermist to befriend.

18. George

Jason, forgive us if we don't recognize your celebrity potential. That's not where our discussions were headed.

Glass eye, I don't consider it being "suckered". Obviously you let someone know you were a taxidermist. Most of the taxidermists that I associate with are willing and eager to pitch in around camp. I respect the ANIMAL too much to want it butchered up haphazardly. But I select my hunting "partners" much like I would select a woman I wanted to marry. My clients are clients and I don't allow my desires to be enticed by clients. PERSONALLY, I think your actions were tacky and it sounded a lot like extortion to me.

19. Oh, George I am not a celeberty in anyones eyes exept my kiddos.

20. George

LOL Jason, I was just bustin your chops. ;D