1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My First Birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by crowskinner, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Hey everybody, thought id tap into the amazing collective experience here and fish for a critique of my first two birds.

[​IMG]
    First is my saddleback duck, he had been in the freezer for a very long time (5+ years) so he was a nightmare to skin, and had taken a good shotgun blasting too, couldve refilled a shell with what i took out of him. Pretty happy with him, but i think the neck has come out too long.

[​IMG]
    This guy is my farm raised pheasant, his wings are pretty beat up to begin with, so i went with a standing mount (he had no tail to speak of, so i ended up getting a replacement from a smaller bird.) Im a little unsure about his neck and leg lengths.
    Thanks for any tips guys, all are greatly appreciated!
    Jim

2. wings II

wings II New Member

Very good for your firsts! Next time, cut the leg bones off at THE HIP from your carcass and after wheeling them, work them back and forth and put them in various positions on your work table before mounting. That will help you understand how they can be posed on the mount. Again, keep up the good work. :)

3. babak

babak Active Member

good looking birds,i like that flying duck,just Little bit adjustment in legs can make it more accurate,good looking back feathers,as your first i can say "congratulation".that pheasant looks a little bit long in body ,for doing a rounded bird that you can move the leg wires in right place ,you have to use a smaller manikin,it looks like that you used a large form in your bird!most of us used to use accurate ones,but i think smaller ones are always better,because life bird has rigid muscles that they are getting loosening ofter death!so our measurment can deviate with real sizes!

4. RMeadows

RMeadows New Member

I agree about the form being a bit off. It helps to save the bird's carcass and carve it to the exact dimensions and if anything a bit smaller as opposed to larger. I find that is what works best for me at least. Good work on the preening!