1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paashe Airbrush

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mikea, Oct 3, 2006.

1. mikea

mikea New Member

I am new to Taxidermy and have now completed 2 whitetail mounts. I bought a VL airbrush kit and the Paashe D500 compressor. I am using Vandykes whitetail finishing kit in laquer paint. My problem is that I can not get this paint to spray evenly. It is like it clogs constantly. I am using a #3 tip and when I switch to just thinner it sprays great. I s my paint bad? Is my compressor to small ? I do not have a pressure gauge on my compressor.Any ideas? I have tried thinning down the paint drastically but do not want to affect the color either.

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Try thinning your paint with retarder instead of thinner. It sounds like your paint may be drying on the tip.

3. joe

joe Member

that is your problem tin it and retard it that will fix it

4. Thin and retard your paint and it would be a good idea to get a pressure guage and mouisture trap.

5. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Thin your paint with retarder and use the thinner to clean the airbrush. Thinner dries faster and causes the paint to dry in the tip. Retarder slows the drying and allows the paint to flow through the tip. Using both thinner and retarder will just water down the paint. They counter act the effect of each other, so never use them together

6. mikea

mikea New Member

Thanks for all of the replys. I will get some retarder.

7. bigbucks

bigbucks New Member

I just built a new taxidermy shop and am looking to buy a new airbrush compressor. Any suggestions what to get. Gameheads only.

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

I've been using a Pashe single action for years and can paint anything with it. You don't need to spend alot of money on an airbrush, you just have to know how to use it and your paints with it. I paint on 23-27lb. of pressure, that's what works for me. I have a moisure trap on the compressor and one in line 3ft. down from my brush. Hope this helps and enjoy.

9. Edrevord

Edrevord Member

I know this is late. But what is retarder? Is there another name for it? Can I get it at a local store? Thanks

10. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

A Paashe airbrush may work fine for painting deer heads, etc but if you ever want to paint a Wood Duck bill or any fish sucessfully, I would encourage you to invest in an Iwata HP-BC+

Also, a bigger air compressor like a 6 HP-20 gallon rig will give you the ability to run not only your airbrush but also nailguns, staplers and other air tools.

11. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

Matt are you using lacquers or water based paints? Just curious

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

It is just called lacquer retarder. It does just that, retards the drying of the paint. You can get it from supply companies, or locally.
    [​IMG]