1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

rehydrate

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by BMHET, Jun 25, 2012.

1. BMHET

BMHET Member

How long will it normally take to rehydrate an earbutt or clay around the eyes, also what's the best way to go about it. Thanks

2. davehyer

davehyer New Member

soak it down with water, then soak som erags and pack on the area you want to soften up. Wrap plastic over it and let it set for a day or so. Should be good to go.

3. BMHET

BMHET Member

That's exactly what I have been doing for 3 days and the clay around the ear is still hard as a rock. Should I just be more patient.?

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Did you mount it originally? It is possible that the earbutt is mache. Back when I was learning that is what I used. If that is the case maybe you want to open up the seam and pull that out and replace with clay. Depending on how bad you want to change it. 3bears

5. BMHET

BMHET Member

Yea I mounted it myself, I used the clay u can get from hobby lobby on the ears.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If you don't think you want to open it up try injecting some water around the earbutt with a syringe. Not trying to scare you but the longer you keep it wet the higher the possibility of mold growing. I have re-hydrated a number of deer that were mounted by someone else a number of years ago to adjust the ears and never had one take more than a day and half to be rehydrate and adjust. 3bears

7. BMHET

BMHET Member

Ok I will try injecting it, not sure why it's not softening up, the mount is for a comp that's why I want to tweak it just a bit.

8. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

I have been thinking about remounting one of my first mounts. Everything needs to be re done. mouth, nose, eyes, and ears. Could I spary it down, use the wet rags, wrap it, and undo the sticthes and just start over.?

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Daniel, I have never gone to that extent on a gamehead. I have swapped racks and readjusted ears. I have heard it is possible but the cape may have a memory. Also what did you use for adhesive. I imagine something like 555 would not let that happen. Check the archives and if you don't find it start a new thread about it. 3bears

10. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

I used the hide paste mix that comes in the WASCO deer kit. It was something like sallie diames hide past.