1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

skulls in a crockpot

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by foxkidd44, Jun 25, 2012.

1. foxkidd44

foxkidd44 New Member

i read somewere in the past that slow cooking the meat off of skulls in a crockpot is quite effective,,,,,,,,has anyone here done this? what were your results???

2. I've never tried it but I would suspect that it would alter the bone quality. Just my thoughts.

3. Guus

Guus Member

You can't clean a skull properly by simmering, there are way too many tiny cavities etc which you'll never be able to pick the meat/brain/sinew/veins out. Besides that degreasing will be a bigger problem. There are many other methods far more interesting if you want your skulls clean.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

It has been done and many skulls have been cooked to bits and destroyed. Crockpots are for soup. Macerate your skulls and you can just walk away and not have to do much of anything. :)

5. cattledog

cattledog Member

I Macerate all my skulls.But i degrease quite a few skulls in a crockpot set on low,with the dawn added.It works fine for me with skulls the size of a Black bear and smaller.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The problem is, that very few crockpots stay within the 115 to 120 for degreasing. Have you actually measured the temperature of yours? I would be curious as to the brand and model if it does.

7. AH7

AH7 New Member

Look, here is the bottom line:

Things cooked in crock pots taste great because they cook the collagen out of the connective tissues and make everything succulent and juicy. That's the stuff that gets all thick and gelatinous (actually, it is a form of gelatin-like stuff - and what can be made into glue) and delicious, especially after it sits overnight and is reheated the next day. (It behaves differently after it is initially freed, thus the reheated version is different, and in my opinion, better.)

However, collagen is the key protein in bone too! If you cook it out of the bone, then what you are left with is the mineral component (mostly calcium). The key to ANY proper bone cleaning method is to NEVER let the temperature get high enough to start dissolving the collagen. If your crock pot is absolutely consistently below 120 (I prefer 115 or even 110 to be safe), then it is either 1) a really crappy crock pot that doesn't get hot enough to make good meat, or 2) much more controllable than any other crock pot I've ever seen. If it is that controllable, then it is almost certainly worth more money than one of the basic maceration setups, and therefore you should not ruin it with skulls. If it is cheaper, then I would bet anything it is at least sometimes way too hot for this process.

My advice, keep the crock for some sweet cooking, and stick with one of the setups you can find in the archives!

8. foxkidd44

foxkidd44 New Member

thanks for the replies........i'll def go with the other methods ya'll have suggested.

9. artskulls

artskulls New Member

I have used a crock pot for small skulls, but you can not leave it in too long maybe 30 minutes on low and then the meat is ready to come off and mash up the brains and flush with water then I put it back in for another 30 minutes on high and then on low with dawn for a few hours to degrease. The nasal cavities came out great, it actually came out better than I thought. I did a muskrat and a skunk this way. I only did it this way because of living in the city and was a practice, but with the coyote heads I had I cold macerated them in a cooler and really didn't stink to bad until you lifted the lid just took longer, two months just to find out they were battered heads. The crock pot was just quickie experiment because I was worried about the smell with the neighbors and all.

10. AH7

AH7 New Member

No offense, but using a crock-pot on high WILL destroy a skull for the reasons that I discussed above. I'll bet anything that the collagen content of your skulls is diminished and in the long run, flaking will probably happen.

11. artskulls

artskulls New Member

I do believe you are right Great Skulls but at the time I did not have any tanks set up, so it worked at the time. I know that does not make it right to deviate from the processes that have been tried and trued. I do not recommend a crock pot as they do not stay consistent with heating and is easy to forget about and the results are definitely a cooked and damaged skull, but I was eager to clean my first skull. :D

12. AH7

AH7 New Member

I think it's safe to say that most of us on here have screwed up a skull or two. I've probably destroyed over a dozen in my experiments! Thankfully none of the tigers though!