1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bad experience with Moyle Mink and Tan

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by sheephunter, Jun 26, 2012.

1. I had a couple of clients that wanted their Mountain Goats very white. My usual tannery does not whiten so I went with Moyle in Idaho for these 2 life size skins. Paid the invoice when both were ready to ship and when the box got here there was only one in the box. I called immediately and was told the other goat would come out in the next batch. Time goes by I called and was told they could not find the second skin. They just flat lost it. I can guess what happened but it is only a guess.
    Mia at the tannery was very nice to deal with and said they would pay for a replacement skin and to send them a copy of the invoice when I found one. The did repay me for this very quickly.

They then refuse to refund the tanning money they charged me for the lost skin. The replacement skin I found was tanned and they feel tanning is tanning and they should get credit for that. They had offered credit for the tanning but like i told them they were only 50% on returning my items not good enough.

My argument to them was I spent this time looking for a new skin, paid shipping up on the skin they lost, I now have to whiten this skin that I bought . Their tanning because of the whitening is more expensive than my usual tannery. Too top it all off I have had the least desireable conversations with a good client and had to explain why I told him his Goat was on the way back from the tannery then it was still at the tannery then it was just flat lost. No part of this makes anyone look good.

I am just venting here a bit. I do not think Moyle should keep money for a job they did not do. They caused me a lot of grief and time and left me feeling like the line from Animal House ( Hey you F d up you trusted us ).
    Their brochure is in the trash along with their business reputation and credibility to me.

Kevin Libby

2. RDA

RDA Active Member

Drag Kev. MMs bleaching pre-tan is NICE, but not when you dont get your skin back.. Wildlife furs in CALI isnt any better- IF you get your stuff back, and IF it isnt acid rotted or torn to sheit, then the stuff shrinks so bad that NO carding will hold it. Even after drowning in T oil..

3. jmgriggs

jmgriggs Distinguished Wildlife Creations, LLC

Dang I hate when that happens. Makes us look bad when its the tannerys fault!! Hate to hear that. :(

4. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Kevin, try calling Ryan Moyle and talking to him directly, I have found him to be a good and reasonable person. Go to the boss and insist on talking to him only. Talking to tannery phone screeners when I have a problem makes me go Italian in a bad way every time and then everything goes south; esp with the gals. They will always whine that you were rude to them even if you feel that you were not but then its over. I sent two lifesize mountain goats to the Wildlife Gallery once and asked them in writing NOT to beach them and they did anyway and they made the hair so weak, frizzy and brittle I almost failed getting them to be OK again only after a lot of tender loving conditioning and work. As RDA says Wildlife furs in California wet tan is unbearable for shrinking and drumming. They sent me a 14 ft croc back wet tanned that smelled up my whole shop like a cannery of dead carp! They said they are all like that and at first would not work with me but finally dropped the charge on it. I retanned it myself here in the shop, what a job that was! You have to bag and slow dry every mount of their tan and it will still drum some. I could on for pages about several well known tanners I have used in the last 40+years. Every tannery you use will have problems if you are in this long enough and that includes youself if you try and do everything inhouse.

5. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Jim is very experienced in the "tannery roulette" game. Believe what he says. He coined that phrase.
    Kevin, how does a tannery LOOSE a LIFESIZE Mt Goat ? It's not like it was a Duiker cape and got flushed.

6. RJ Simington

RJ Simington Active Member

The thing is that they shouldnt be LOOSING ANYTHING.

Somebody wasnt doing their job & now Kevin has to be the one to make up for it.

I get emails & calls all the time from tanneries needing skins & capes ASAP, to replace a customers.

Just makes ya wonder if you are actualy getting your own clients skins back.

Tannery Ruollette is right, I dont care What tannery you use.

7. I also have some gut wrentching tannery stories from over the years. Tanneries usually say its not there fault, not the shavers fault, etc., etc. Even when they rarely admit they lost something all you get is replacement. The hunter is pissed and takes it out on you, the tanneries do not have to face your customer!! Act like no big deal we'll just replace it! Like that cures everything. UGH! I could go on and on. Tannery problems are my worst nightmare. I tan everything I can in house. I don't want to be a tannery but they force me to be! UGH!!!!!

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Sorry Jim, but that statement made me laugh out loud for real :)

9. gab

gab Active Member

we use wildlife in california's dry tan and don't have any of those issues.may be a shelf life issue?we mount everything within a month of receiving it.
    I've played tannery roulette also,having rotated back to wildlife after trying everyone else.most of the issues i've had over the years with wildife have been organizational,not quality

10. I turned a couple of clients loose on the tanneries. One had taken the tannery to court and received a huge settlement.

Another is in the process.

11. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

I shot a huge 350lb black bear and sent it off to be tanned. I had taken numerous photos of me with the bear, even layed out flat after it was skinned. bear had a white V on his chest plain as day. one I got back from tannery had no white V or any white on it, and hair had slipped so bad I was barely able to get a shoulder mount. and it was about 150 lb bear they srnt me back. they did nothing, said it was my bear.

12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I've been very fortunate so far. To lose a valuable skin would really be bad news. Your goat possibly got shipped to someone else by accident. I rec'd someone else's stuff once, and promptly returned it to the tannery.

13. wayne70

wayne70 Member

I also use wildlife fur and use thrit dry tan mostly,not aqny problems with shrinkage. also any problems with the tan talk with John at wildlife he will take care of it

14. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

You know..... I hear this all the time . This is Moyles SOP ! They do a good job on fur with a garment tan and they are good at buffalo. But you will find most of us that can drive our skins to their door don't use them. Just saying!!!! I would demand full compensation and the skin back asap , then send it to a reputable tannery you have dealt with before. Luck!

15. Jim,
    I like the tannery roulette made me chuckle a bit, I have been very fortunate with my usual tannery and truly wish I had used them in this case. Quite honestly I am over the tanning money and am moving on to doing whatever it takes to make this bearable in my clients eyes.
    Ryan made it very clear he was NOT going to refund the tanning, This was through Mia. Everyone makes mistakes and have things happen, This is a different industry and lots of strange things accrue. It is how you handle these events that set you apart, If you put someone in a bad situation will you do as little as possible to help or do you do whatever it takes to make your mistake right to the best of your abilities. I don't want to ,need to deal with the little as possible types.

We put a huge amount of trust in the tannery we choose, They can make or break you very quickly. I have NO trust or confidence in this tannery or its owner.

16. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

"This was through Mia" You must talk to Ryan directly. Demand it. I believe Mia is his mother. From my dealing with Ryan I have come to believe that Ryan is a nice guy that wants to do a good job and build a good business reputation dispite all his tanneries setbacks and his family. His bears, bison and furs and flat hides are unmatched for a quality clean tan. They seem to struggle bad with everthing else in the office and the shop. Thats my take on it anyway. I have been sending 98% of my tanning to Glacier Fur for quite a while now. Some of Glaciers skins have thicker shavings than I would like and nothing is ever as clean as Moyles or New Method or Carolina by alot. But they are honest, make things right every time, they will work with you and they stay friendly even if your a tempered minded type like I am, and most of all, Glaciers tan mounts easy without problems. Last but not least my advise is: Always bleach your own stuff. Several times taxidermists have PM'd me about bleaching Dall sheep and goats. I always try to be helpful in how I do it for them.

17. davehyer

davehyer New Member

Pine acres in Ohio. Great guy does a great job. I have been using him for 3 years now with no problems at all.

18. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Jim
    Nice sheep !

19. Does anyone know what is safe to whiten or bleach a Rambulet Ram? Is there an easier way to get out the snarles and tangles as well as the crap stuck in longer haired sheep. It has been pressure tanned. Thanks!

20. NEVER, EVER , AGAIN!!!!!!! They $UCK!!!!! I sent them hides for garment tan and they came back full of holes and stiff as card board! Their reason,, because I sent Texas Coyotes. BS !!!