1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wet Tanning And Dry Tanning

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Red_Fox_Moonlight, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Since I'm fairly new to the art of taxidermy, I do not yet understand what the difference is between wet tanning and dry tanning. I've heard that wet tanning, you have to keep the hide in a freezer? I'm not sure. ???

2. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Really,,,, huh

3. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

Do a search on wet and dry tanning, you'll find all kinds of things to read on it.

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It's a fairly simple question to answer. I personally like wet tans and yes you keep them in the freezer till your ready to mount. A dry tan is the same as a wet tan but dried so it's lighter for shipping purpose or there are some folks who like to hydrate the hide themselves.
    That is the real difference between the two. All other is a personal opinion on what they like and don't like.

5. Wet tans are a whole lot closer to being ready to mount than dry tans are. Rehydrating dry tans is an extra step you have to do with a dry tan. There are differences between the dry tan and the wet tan, you will find that tanneries will do different processes for the two tans...not everyone does it the same way.

But, Frank pretty much broke it down into the basic difference. Rehydration.