1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish Mounting Stand

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Bubba Botts, Jun 27, 2012.

1. What do ya'll use for fish mounting stands. I have the sorry flexible fish mounting stand that cant hold up a bass over 8 lbs without drooping. I saw that Mr Rick Krane in his LM bass painting video has a pivotal vise, And its the answer to my stand issues. But I have been to many stores and spent countless time online looking only to get a crazy look sent back my way when I ask them if they sell one of these. Any ideas?

2. IDForkHorn

IDForkHorn Common sense just isn't that common anymore

I made my own, you can make it to your personal apperance, mine swivels and does everything a stand that you buy does! Just my .02!

3. JWShadley

JWShadley New Member

I too made my own. Considering I was able to get most of the parts from a plumbing supply house for less than $20, coupled with a couple hours after work using the welder, grinder, drill, and tap VS. $100 or more (including shipping) I opted to make my own, and it has worked out quite well. I have found one or two little things I would do differently, but minor personal preferences. If you want, send me a PM and I will give you a parts list and real easy instructions. Don't even really need a welder, if you get the right parts. I just used it as an excuse to hone my welding skills.
    Jesse

4. sluggo7

sluggo7 Member

MN
    Find one they sell for big bucks and make it yourself for very little... I welded my own together.. If you can't weld or have a welder, I bet one of your buddys can/does!

5. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I posted this in another post, but here is what I use for most fish. If they are larger, like striper, then I just screw a block of wood on the back and mount it to my regular stand. This was made with two long screws which were later grounded to a point. The bottom where the heads of the screws are have a bit of resin to keep them from slipping back out. I use these because they are very cheap to make. I sometimes tilt them one way or another by putting a cloth under one end as needed. [​IMG]

6. curtisholson

curtisholson New Member

I use a ball joint speaker mount.
    http://www.omnimount.com/products/speaker_mounts/stainless_steel_series/10.0_w-c/

The picture doesn't show it, but it comes with a mounting bracket that threads onto the ball shaft. I screw that to the fish with grabber screws and the other end to a 2x4 on a stand. You can buy a pair for under $20.00 online.