1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bird skeleton question - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Orkman-X, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had some ideas on how esthetically & 'naturally' attaching a ring to the leg of a bird skeleton in sitting or standing position. These rings usually drop down just to sit on the phalanxes looking silly.

I was thinking on maybe gluing the one inner side to the leg bone or filling the diameter of the ring a bit so it can hold up around the bone. any ideas?

cheers

marc

2. AH7

AH7 New Member

Interesting idea. I like it.

I would probably use rubber bands to build up the space between the band and the bone. That way, if you want to get rid of the band later (or if you sell/give away the mount and the next owner wants to get rid of it) then you could just slide it off.

3. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

it might indeed seem a silly topic but I've been mind-struggling with it for a week.

I see no reason to someone ever wanting to remove the (closed) ring as it is proof next to papers that the bird was bred in captivity and thus legal to own (alive and dead - in europe) so the attachment can be permanent

the fully closed ring is attached at the young birds' leg and as it grows becomes irremovable.
    offcourse, It will slide off the cleaned bones. I imagine this problem don't occur with stuffing.

still, the ring is needed around the bone. rubber round cuttings inside the (metal) rings sound worth trying but of course the bones at the joint are wider than the straight part where the ring naturally hangs...

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

A closed ring could be set in place on any skeletal mount during assembly .. or removed. I don't think it would be considered a valid form of "ID" for that particular skeleton. But the rubber band idea does sound like a good one. Though I have had some rubber bands discolor bone where it sat there for too long in contact with it.

5. AH7

AH7 New Member

If you really want it permanent, then just mix up some putty and fill in the space behind the band. When I've been too lazy to find some putty, I've messed around with elmers glue and just added layers or even filler (I think I used bone dust before to make the elmers thicker). If you don't care about making it reversible, then any glue should work. Do you use paraloid? If so, then you can make a putty-ish version of that by gumming some up but not liquefying it!