1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by IDForkHorn, Jul 3, 2012.

1. IDForkHorn

IDForkHorn Common sense just isn't that common anymore

Just got tricked into eating some bear meat, they told me it was elk, suprisingly it was really good any one else like the taste of bear meat or am i jsut plain out crazy??? ;D

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Wild bear meat is great to eat. Just stay away from dump bears. 3bears

3. OutbackJack

OutbackJack Member

PA
    I personally like it. However a lot of people don't like it because they say how greasy it is and say its grizzly or stringy.

4. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

Very greasy!

5. IDForkHorn

IDForkHorn Common sense just isn't that common anymore

i geuss when you dont know what it is it is pretty good!!

6. Goerge Forman grill em and no greasy mess.

7. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

It's only greasy if it's not properly trimmed. Along with Mule deer, it's my favorite meat. It will get tough if it's overcooked.

8. Hard for me to eat bear after fleshing all that fat off them.Im sure it's good .

9. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

It is very good if handled properly! Taste like good beef

10. Ron1949

Ron1949 Member

I like the taste of bear meat, but elk is my favorite !

11. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

The mere wiff of bear fat turns my stomach but I def agree with Ron on the Elk...it's my favorite as well.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I had some Bear burger for the first time a few months ago, and was pleasantly surprised. Mild and non gamey.

13. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Spring bears are the best, They don't have all that fat to deal with.

14. bigrubs07

bigrubs07 October 26,2007 148 gross P/Y points, 230lbs FD

I think bear meet is great! Problem I have is talking with hunters that have hunted in Canada Manitoba and British Columbia spring and fall hunts their guides tell them the meat is no good, and bring no meat back from the hunt. To me that is bullshoot. You kill it eat it!!

15. We processed Jeff's bear ourselves.
    Not stringy or greasy. It was a old bear, almost no teeth left and he ate up great. He had a lot of fat on him but we just cleaned everything really well. Bear can be so tender it's unreal. Reminds me a lot of beef. I think because it was an older bear though you get the occasional piece that's like shoe leather.

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Like Old Fart, I'm a bit surprised to see the comments about the meat being greasy. Bear meat, in and of itself not marbled like you'd find in Kobi beef. I don't eat it much but it's more mental than palate. I like bear sausage better than I like venison sausage. Bear roasts look a lot like beef with its purplish hew. It's good meat. Bear would fit #5 or #6 of my top 5. Just for giggles

1.Axis
    2. Japanese sika
    3. Moose
    4. Elk
    5. Whitetail
    6. Bear
    7. Pronghorn
    8. Wild Sheep
    9. Mule Deer
    10. Cougar

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I think the comments about greasy come from fact that most of us know how much fat is between the hide and the meat. The fat is like a second skin. Do a good job trimming that off and there isn't much fat left. The most important part of keeping bear meat good is to get it cooled ASAP. Most fail here. When is bear season, in most places? Typically during spring or early fall. It seems that too many here in MN shoot their bear at last light and are too scared to track it in the dark, so they let it rot over night, in the woods. Bear season starts Sept.1 here so it is still too warm for that, most years, especially with that hide and layer of fat on them. 3bears

18. AaronWolf

AaronWolf Member

any of you guys eating bear meat see any with "trichanosis"? not sure on the spelling. worms in the meat. we shot a few up in canada and every one had worms bad. soon as you got into any of the meat it was full of worms. not sure if the bears in the states have that as bad or not. cant say i have ever seen it on any coming into the shop.

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Trichinosis is caused by bears eating raw garbage. Wild bears don't have it usually. You shot "dump bears" it sounds like.

20. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I only went Bear hunting once in Quebec George, 200 miles NORD of Ottawa, and 90 miles nord of any civilization, no dumps around out in that bush, and the bears that I saw skinned out at the lodge, all had worms. Just say'n. They eat rotten maggot infested carcusses, they are lazy hunters.