1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rainbow trout-Before and after

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Zimmie, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

These are before and after pics of a rainbow trout I recently did for a customer. Critiques welcome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Is the original before the after or after the original after. Jk. Me like

3. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

I was hoping for some critiques whether good, bad or ugly. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ryan

4. Hey Ryan,
    I think you did a nice job on the repairs and refinishing. You could've gone a little lighter(less) on the belly spots, but depends on reference pics you used. It looks like you have a nice detail airbrush.
    Good job!
    Shawn.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Overall, not a bad job. Good job on the repairs and the rebuilding in the head. Makes a world of difference. The main critique I'd have has to do with color. And unless you posted pics of the reference you used I'm just guessing here. Color varies SO much from fish to fish and especially with rainbows. I agree with Sahwn. The spots below the stripe tend to fade more and manytimes disappear before they get down very far. The eye-set is a bit stoic looking to me. Oftentimes bows will have some white before and aft of the eye in that little socket there too. Speaking of white, the white tips on many of the fins is strong. If there was fleshy, white areas I think they probably blended out better and perhaps were less strong in general? The color of the pelvis seem a little out of place and strong as well. Again, pretty tough to critique color w/o seeing your reference pics. But, just a few minor things seem a little out of place to me. All in all I'm sure your customer was very happy - I'm being pretty picky (you asked for it - lol!)

6. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

Thanks for the replies. That is exactly what I was asking for Fish Art. I will definately keep these tips in mind on the next one. Thanks again, Ryan