1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Average ear for FL..

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by dsbragg, Jul 5, 2012.

1. It's beautiful here, but some of the thickest, hardest hunting conditions for deer. Whens the last time you have seen an outdoor show hunting whitetails free range in FL? :D

Here are the ears on another deer I'm working on tonight.... ::)

[​IMG]

2. hoo boy...yep they get worse than that...
    swollen thick with infection at times too.

3. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Dennis, those ears look like the same ones that come in here!! Oh wait, we're only 40 miles apart ;D

4. Yeah Kevin, just about all of the south deals with them...make you good at fixing stuff though. ::)

5. Bo Hersey

Bo Hersey Member

Yea Dennis I feel your pain dryer sheets and burnt umber is a wonderful thing

6. Not enough ticks for the deer i the Ozarks.

7. Yeah, bow hunting the 2nd week of september is awesome. We keep thermacell in business.

8. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

Man, I got freaked over just a couple ticks. I would not want to work with that haha
    Thankful for Michigan now.

9. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Taxidermists have a license to experiment in search of success. Here's a couple of photos of such. Interesting stuff explained on the web. These are button buck ears.
    http://www.hidetanning.net/STOP-ROTfreezer.html

Attached Files:

10. Good post Glen ;), I use Stop Rot on every cape I work with. Helps on these damaged ears for sure. When the ears are scared till fussed with ticks stacked in it cuts down on epidermal loss a lot. Some are just what they are and just have to be fixed. Heat is a big factor down here so every hide gets a treatment either as I cape fresh, or if frozen treated as it thaws and then after capping and then go in the freezer till I tan it. Stuff rocks.

11. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Re: Re: Average ear for FL..

I will never complain about our ears again... ever...

12. WOW.......I am new to Taxidermy and I also live and hunt in Fla.and I thought I was messing up my ears but they look just like yours, ate up with ticks and I rip a few. The deer I get from dairy/cattle land have almost no ticks and there ears come out beautiful.

I do allot of hunting in N.Fla. and we have TICKS... I have found this stuff called "Sawyer insect repellent" with PERMETHRIN works the best, I never have a tick on me and works well for mosquitoes also (you know the ones that bite you through your clothes). I liked it so much I spray it around my shop and it takes care of all kinds of bugs...

13. Thefishin1, I use permethrin on clothing and boots for working or scouting in the woods, works well. For Mosquitoes nothing beats a Thermacell, nothing. I have used them all and by far it's the best thing for stand hunting.

14. swampfox

swampfox New Member

X2 on the Thermacell ! ;)

15. AaronWolf

AaronWolf Member

ever have any trouble with deer smelling the thermacell? i have been hesitant to use it during the early season bow hunting. so i just sit there miserable for hours. i have one i use for turkey hunting, just didnt want to blow a chance at a big buck catching wind of the thermacell. kinda feel sillly sitting there all scent controlled and then firing up a thermacell. maybe it doesnt bother them.

16. What on earth did we do before THERMACELLS.....I can sit in my climber in the swamps all day in peace, and I have had deer walk right underneigh me and they never smelled it...I own three
    Have you checked on "youtube" on how to refill the butane,and yes you can break mosquito coils up and set them on the pad "in the grates"and it works just as good (same stuff) the deer don't smell it either...

17. I have been using them for years and have never felt it hindered me at all. I bow hunt mainly and have pretty good luck every year. I always have one on down here until we get a freeze or two. We get about two months where they aren't that bad, other than that...only Canada in the spring is worse. I have seen the butane refill thing and a few I know use it. Honestly, for me, I'll gladly pay for them to thank the dude that came up with the thing, he deserves it. 8)