1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Try this new clay I found

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Jerry Huffaker, Jul 6, 2012.

1. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Yup Brian that heat must be doing a number on you, I told you right off the bat that it is a clay not an adhesive, that right there was enough info to tell you it would not work for your EPOXY applications. Anyhow wish you the best and post some pics of your fish, I'm always willing to look at some fish mounts. Maybe it will give me motivation to attempt to mount one.
    Regards, Geno

2. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

You're just not getting it so I'll say it a little s l o w e r: I never asked if I could use it as a substitute for EPOXY Geno. That was your assumption. I asked IF it would adhere (you know, stick to), surfaces because apoxie "CLAY" DOES. Here's an example of what Apoxie CLAY can do for a sclera band on fish eyes. I know now, thanks to Jerry, that critter clay and its AKA: crayola, will smooth, mold and dry well but wont stick like an apoxie clay application. That's all......
    ANYWAY.........moving forward, good luck to you and let me know if you need any tips when you start working on fish. There's multiple examples of my work on this site if you care to look........

Attached Files:

3. Brian W

Geno,
    bcuz you asked: here's some examples of my work:

Attached Files:

4. Brian W

A re-do LM, re-paint/partial re-do gar and a big skin mount perch for two different taxi-netters here:

Attached Files:

5. Brian W

forgot the before pic of the LM:

Attached Files:

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Thanks Jerry, my wife is in San Antonio picking up Taxidermy Clay from Clay World for mr today and also a bunch of tanning, so I just messaged her a pic of the clay you posted to pick up from Hobby Lobby..... thanks again for the tip!

7. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Come on now Brian, what's up with all those RED's. Just messing with you. Work looks good keep at it and sorry I'm a bit slow.
    Regards, Geno

8. I must be slow to Hammar..lol I almost posted to Brians question till you did, I think all three of us are slow. ::)

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

My wife just called, she got me 2.5 pound buckets because they are 40% off. It was like $7.00 for 5 pounds tax included.

10. Brian W

LOL, I know. Second guessed myself showing RED like that after I posted. I've been told to work on one or two and really concentrate on them. I kinda promised three people I would enter their fish at the show. The Brown was a 6 year olds first fish out of the river, and the trio of gills and big pike were special mounts for friends of mine. It's all good though because, as a Member of the MTA, I fully support and contribute to them plus, it gives spectators more to look at..........Been at it about 7 years or so as a hobbyist and my highest score has been 89. Got a couple blues in the commercial division but havent earned one at the Michigan show in the Pro division....YET....so I guess I'm slow too........ ;D.

11. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I was going to say, "can't quite get over that second place hump eh Brian? "Anyways, I have been using crayola clay for nearly thirty years. I started out using the red, blue, green and yellow clay for many years, then the airdry stuff you guys think is something new. I have never used critter clay, I just thought it was common sense for all taxidermists to go into the craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby and look around. Or even the craft depts. of walmarts or like stores. I guess not, if you guys want to keep spening money that you don't need to spend, then I guess that's your right. For me, I will always try to save as much money on supplies as I can.

12. 100% correct. I spend more time in those places then my wife.

13. rcfd607

rcfd607 New Member

What are you using instead of Critter clay? That you get from hobby lobby?

14. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

This is 8 years old.

msestak and Jerry Huffaker like this.
  15. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

I use critter clay now, this is an old one isn't it Tim

16. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The Crayola Air Dry Clay didn't work for me. I tried it, and immediately reverted to Critter Clay.

msestak likes this.
  17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Not very smart with the "crayon stuff". You're talking about oil based clay. It never totally dries and the oils will absorb into the skin. You can get away with it as long as no one bangs it or you don't have a white or light skinned animal. Every product has an intended use. Sometimes you can get away with juryrigging, and sometimes you can't. Your clients depend on you to do what's right.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  18. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

George the clay that this old thread was about isn't crayon stuff oil clay, its a Crayola Brand air dry clay you can get at hobby lobby in a pinch if you run out of critter clay. It works very well with minimal shrinkage.

Lance.G likes this.
  19. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

Got tiered of looking for Critter clay deals, shipping kills me. I started using Crayola air dried clay from Amazon $9.00 for 5 lbs. free shipping in 2/3 days. Just went to buy more hit BUY AGAIN and it was 22.95 for 5 lbs even more through other sellers. Called today to bitch and ask why so much now and I saw it back again for 9.00. So far it has worked well. I still use critter clay for eyes. I'll try the Crayola for eyes tomorrow.
    I also rolled out a golf ball size piece and let it dry, two days later I hit it with my palm (not smart) it didn't break, it was hard. Hit it with a hammer and it broke in half and center was hard. No reason why it wont work I'm thinking.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    Jerry Huffaker likes this.