1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turning a blind eye...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by huntnut78, Jul 6, 2012.

1. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

This was a project I recently completed. When the customer brought it in the buck had recently lost his right eye in a fight, it was flat and oozing. The customer asked if I could reproduce it somehow. Having never done one before I told him "Sure... No problem!" and he thought it would be cool if I would mount it in an aggressive pose with its tongue licking its nostrils like its heading into a fight. Again I said "Yeah, thats doable". Well this is the final result and I was wondering what you all thought. Keep in mind this is not a competition piece, this is a customer mount. I had to sew a patch in behind the right eye because there was a slip about the size of a 50 cent piece from infection. I did not cut the entire lower jaw off an lower it to be 100% anatomically correct. I just built the whole thing up with apoxie sculpt to add depth from the bottom of the jaw to lipline. Also not sure if a whitetail would be able to stick its tongue out the right side of its mouth and still have the lips closed on the left side. Probably not, but I was not willing to invest a ton of time on it like I would if it were for competition. I made the tongue and eye from scratch. Well I guess I started with a factory eye and painted and clear coated it for effect. I also made the aperature for the right eye smaller as if he was squinting a bit. I had a horse that had Moon Blindness and his affected eye was always a bit more squinty. I tried grooming the hair back to look more aggresive but he was transitioning into his winter coat and that looked terrible. The hair was all different lengths. Other than that I pretty much winged it. So fire away.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Steve

Steve New Member

IA
    I like it, looks great.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Very nice job.

4. Awesome job! Can I ask how you painted the eye?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. jimhow

jimhow Member

NICE!

6. babowhunter

babowhunter Man,I love this stuff!!

I like it,very nice!Very different too!

7. MN Archer

MN Archer New Member

mn
    Looks real good to me!

8. Ron1949

Ron1949 Member

Looks like he,s ready for a fight,beautiful job!

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Dang....you done GOOD!!

10. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

Like it a lot...really interested in how exactly you achieved the clouded zombie eye look.

11. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

That is Kick Azz. I dig it.

12. AaronWolf

AaronWolf Member

very sweet! love the dead eye. realy makes him look battle worn!

13. Dude!... Can you say happy customer! Very nice....I hope you got paid enough for all that work. I too would love to know how you did that eye...best blind eye I have seen. Down the road-

14. Brian

Brian Active Member

you nailed it. looks great.

15. Very very nice. Great job

16. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

nice job man

17. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Thanks for all the compliments guys! For those who were asking about how I did the eye it was pretty easy. I just grabbed on eye out of my supply that didnt have a mate. I honestly think it was a 32 mm elk eye that I dropped the other years ago and shattered it. I tried a couple different paint blends till I found the one I liked most. I use wildlife colors and it was mostly basic white with a several drops of sky blue mixed in. I painted it with a velocity jet at about 35psi to get a good fine mist with no splatter. It was two coats of paint, then a flash coat of fish gloss followed by a heavy coat of fish gloss. Pretty easy.

18. Doylestudio

Doylestudio Active Member

Too cool and nice work! I bet your customer will be quite pleased with that one.

-Mike

19. Thanks for the info, and again awesome job!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine