1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help removing fish head

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by west1542, Jul 6, 2012.

1. I have looked on here and can not find any information on exactly how to remove the head of a fish (a bass to be exact) I've read reviews about to take the head off or to not take it off and I've always left it on but had a spare bass and want to try skinning cleaning and mounting with it off to see the difference. I was curious to see if anyone had any pics or information on where to cut and the step by step it may be a stupid ? but just wasn't sure. I wasnt sure if when I cut the throat latch and the thin skin on both sides of collar bone if all I needed to do is trim the sides of each gill cover around the top of the head in front of where scales star and the the head come off? Ive seen pics of the head off with the gill assembly out but still not sure how to get it to that point..........any info would be great if you can help........thanks in advance.

2. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Re: Re: Help removing fish head

Just cut it off n figure it out.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

Lift the gill cover, start from bottom with snips and cut skin forward of the cilethrium moving upward untill you reach the top of the gill opening. With your snips, insert farther until you reach the colar bone and sever. Do the same on the other side (minus the color bone obviously) and then cut the skin just forward of the scale line across the top of the head. From there, the only thing holding the head on should be the very front of the throat latch. Snip it off and you are done.

4. OK thanks alot that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure about what all was inside where you really can't see I'll try this and see what happens thanks again

5. Jeremy Smith

Jeremy Smith God,guns,and guts made america;lets keep all three

I am trying one like this now. What is the best way to get the cheek meat out ?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

Remove the eyes first. I use my fish skinning knife and turn it flat ways and insert it in the eye socket between the cheek meat and the skin and work it all the way around seperating the meat from the skin. Do the same thing underneath the meat, seperating the meet from the skull and the skin of the inside of the mouth. Becareful as it is easy to cut through the skin of the interior of the mouth. Easy fix if you do though. I will then use a cheek scraping tool to dig the meat out. Once you think you have it all out, stick your finger in there to feel around for any remaining meet. This is how I do it. Works for me. Good luck

7. Jeremy Smith

Jeremy Smith God,guns,and guts made america;lets keep all three

Thank's, thats the way I do all of mine ( with head on) , I just wondered if it was possible to remove it from the inside once the head was off and be able to reach all of the hard to reach places.