1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Practice pelts..

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by ShadiSin, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Well, dad wants to get me into taxidermy.. problem is, buying a top quality pelt would be too expensive for me, especially if I'm going to end up accidentally messing it up, you know?

So I figured I'd ask.. anyone have any faces, capes or lifesizable pelts (such as, damaged pelts) they wouldn't mind selling for a discount?, Really doesn't matter if they have holes/tears, I don't mind putting extra unf into fixing them up. I also don't mind slips/missing fur patches as long as it isn't like.. you know.. the whole face or something lol. I find scars give character, so if it isn't drastic I'll probably be all over it.

I'm mainly looking for just FACES of animals. I want to practice on the face of a yote, deer or fox before I go to the next step - a cape, and then once I've accomplished getting capes to look good, a few full pelts. I'm a softie for coyotes, but I already have four so dad wants me to try something different. I know my chances of coming across a wolf in my budget are extremely rare, so I guess I'll just stick to the smaller more 'common' animals. I literally don't care what kind of animal it is, the more variety the better - I need to get my butt onto learning!

I want to really, truly put my all into each animal I come across and I'm hoping I can become as good as most others I see on this site mounting up animals. I'm putting money aside for an airbrush and what-not for painting, you name it. I know I won't be as good learning on my own, but this is something I've been interested in doing for Years upon years.

I also know there have been a lot of recent noobies/youth/beginners trying without even doing research and just butchering an animal trying to mount it.. I don't want to be that way, I'm going to stick to buying top quality stuff for my animals and that's that, even if it does take me a while to accomplish.

I am not looking for pity :| I am not trying to be rude, but I'm SICK of people saying this to me. "Oh, you're just looking for pity" - no, I'm not.

Anyway, thank you all for your time.

- Summer Scolaro/Shadi. ♥​

2. Only had one person pm me/offer & I'm taking it as soon as I get money on the card (raccoon <3) - still looking for more 'practice pelts'.

I don't care how bad slips/scars or holes are, as long as it can be sewn or painted without being TOO noticable I'm all good. Enlarged eyeholes are fine, I actually kind of like them because I think it's cute having a 'sleeping' mount.

Really looking for a cheap fox, tail or no tail. Full legs or not.​

3. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

I have some skinned lifesize non prime coons, zero damage, 4 for $78.70 postpaid. frozen raw. will not split, all 4 or none, to cover packing etc. ,at that price I can throw in a full on carcase winter possum with zero damage for $15 more.

4. That's definitely a good deal, but I really don't think I coudl take anything raw at this moment.. none the less I'll talk to dad about it & see what he says, maybe I can figure something out.

Thank you for the reply. ^_^

5. Still looking.

Also looking for supplies, such as eyes and forms and what-not to be included.

I'm looking for some longhaired/thick coated deer to pratice on.

6. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Taxidermy isn't a cheap hobby..

7. I understand that. Which is why it's taking me so long to build up enough stock, so that I actually have quality stuff and not cheap crap.

I refuse to mount anything until I have top grade stuff for it. ;)

8. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

If daddy is the one who wants you to "get into" taxidermy, let daddy foot the bill to buy quality stuff. If you practice on crap.. Crap is what it will be..

You can polish a turd all day, in the end, it's still s turd

9. True that, I guess.

Either way, I feel I need to do this on my own and accomplish something.

Therefore, I am having to get a job, which my doctor is seriously irritated at me for due to the fact I cannot actually be up for long.

I guess it's worth it risking passing out and accidentally hurting myself. PLTannery has some really nice stuff for cheap sometimes. I'm getting most of my stuff from her. For example, she has a REALLY nice mule deer doe cape for 30 + 18 shipping, it just has holes and what-not that need to be fixed up. I think that's more than a good price.

10. WILD BROOKIES

WILD BROOKIES JOIN EBTJV SAVE A RESOURCE

go to the supply section on here everything you need for the good stuff is there its just not free you only get what you earn or pay for stop the pity me attitude and the give me free line seems like if we call someone out on here for doing so we turn into the bad guys,thats whats wrong with youth today the things they want to do should be given or cheaper than normal customers remember we have to pay the electric bill not our daddy

11. Honestly, and not to be rude, I Really wasn't looking to have anyone pity me, or give me free stuff. I just wanted to see if anyone had any pelts they'd let go for cheaper due to damage.

I understand for good quality you have to pay for good quality, but I really don't want to pay 200-300 for a super nice pelt then accidentally ruin it, if you know what I mean by that.

I'm really not looking for pity, and I sort of find it a tad bit offensive that everyone is thinking so.

I know there are a lot of youth/beginner taxidermists out there, and I have noticed a lot begging for free stuff, I don't want to be like them and I have been studying and trying to get into taxidermy for a very long time now. I'm hoping to one day be as good as half the people I see mounting stuff here.

12. I don't have anything tanned or I'd offer to help - if you decide to take on raw stuff down the line, I have some beginner stuff, and Bob always has a great deal on something raw. I wish you the best!

13. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

I always keep top grade struff for competition mounts, but priced that way too. however I always have low grades, not damage so much as pooor southern type fur, that I sell cheap. everything I have is skinned for taxidermy use, but frozen raw. if you need it tanned, best I can do for you is ship it to the tannery of your choice. as far as I know tannerys only have one "grade" of tanning, so no matter if it is a low grade or a select, it`s going o cost you the same for tanning, so you can`t save anything that way. imo now, if a select coon is $25 and a summer low grade $15 and the cost to tan is identical, and the shipping cost the same too, well , you get my point. it`s really false economy to get the cheapest poor quality skins money can buy. but I do have those too. look at the ad I have on the for sale side for the coon back halfs. they are dirt cheap and lot of craft or hat material there for hardly more than the shipping. be good ones to practice your home tanning on, which you`ll have to learn sooner or later anyway.