1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

branch and dead wood habitat "help" updated pic's

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by saddlehorse_98, Jul 7, 2012.

1. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

I can get the main body of the tree trunk pretty close. but pulling my hair out trying to get the dead branch part to look right, I really need to two area's to look different so I can separate the branch from the dead wood showing the contrast of the two. all the same color just doesn't show the detailed difference in sculpture. I have a tree in back yard that is my reference and can I clearly see the colors. however it seems the real wood has a translucent coloring where as my paints are opaque. I just can't get it to look right. I have limited colors on hand, but painting this 2 part foam or epoxy sculpt primed gray or light brownish just doesn't want to go where it needs to. any help with colors and their names would give me a place to go try. I'll try to post a couple photo's of my project. thanks for looking

Attached Files:

2. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

Re: branch and dead wood habitat "help"

here is another picture. I couldn't get it to upload to main post. thanks

Attached Files:

3. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I think you nailed it pretty good but think you should now spray the main trunk with black and then wipe it off. Then it would look like the real thing.

4. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

your right. the last one I did, I went to dark. so I went lighter this time, but it does look to light, easy fix their. the dead branch is where I'm having a hard time. thanks good help

5. Re: branch and dead wood habitat "help"

A great base coat is the tan camo paint by Krylon for dead wood, then drybrush with a white creamy color. After that you can add a realy dk brown wash, wipe off some areas then lightly add color with the airbrush which is what softens the paint. Your dead wood looks much to brown and monotone. Try taking some steel wool and knock some of that down to see what you get.

6. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

I'll get after it first thing tomorrow and see what I come up with. thanks

7. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

Ok I'm fairly new to all this habitat making and was wondering if you or someone could clue me in on what to use to make a tree trunk or for that matter a hollow log( which I need for a habitat). Really don't know what materials to use or to even start with so that it isn't real heavy. Any help to get me started in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

8. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

Slate Run
    pm sent.

9. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

okay I'm trying to fix the above raccoon mount branch with this branch its the same thing and will be painted the same it's just easier to work with and a bit smaller, until I get it right. then I can go back to above mount and finish it. I got the red out of the dead branch and I like the shade of brown that's in it. but it's still missing something? I was able to darken the tree itself just fine. I like where that is, however after 2 mornings of messing with it. I'm still missing colors in this dead wood. I tried a couple shades of light gray on it and that's not it. I tried some black around the edges and left some of it but it still isn't it. other idea's and opinions more than welcome. thanks

Attached Files:

10. Re: branch and dead wood habitat "help"

Looks good

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN

To me it looks plastic. Dull it down, dead and dried wood doesn't shine. Fine steel wool can help achieve that. I think the colors look good though. 3bears

12. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

your right on the money. I think part of it is, I took the pic right after I put the clear coat on and it was still drying yet. thanks

13. Non-TypicalArtist

Non-TypicalArtist ABOVE Expectations. BEYOND Ordinary.

You need more contrast. Looks too monotone. Do a wash a black to fill in the cracks and create lowlights and highlights. There is a visible difference in an underlying dead branch vs the bark on it. Get yourself a dead stick or log and lay it next to it. Will help big time!

14. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

I pick up branches all the time, now that I need one the isn't any. I will try that in the morning. I agree no contrast thats been my biggest problem to date. thanks for the help.

15. Non-TypicalArtist

Non-TypicalArtist ABOVE Expectations. BEYOND Ordinary.

Actually just look at the photo you have it hanging on in the original post. Create depth. Look at the dark vs light in the bark....

16. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

thanks Non-TypicalArtist it looks simple. light gray, dark gray, black in the cracks, yet I'm just not coming up with what I think it should be, been messing with this for 3 days now. I actually like the first one with the coons on it. in fact its going up on the sell block as we speak. I was able to darken the branch and get the red out of the branches to were i'm okay with it. but its still not what I set out to do. I'm still going to mess with the smaller branch I have and see where I can get with it. as much trouble as I'm having it's still more fun than work. thanks a bunch for all the help.

17. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

here is some finished pic's

Attached Files:

18. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

here is some more.

Attached Files:

19. MITCHELL4

MITCHELL4 New Member

Turned out nice. good job.

20. saddlehorse, paint is not what you need. Your not able to acheive the look you want because your missing the key ingrediant, depth and shadows. What you are trying to create with black paint should already be there with shadows from the correct depth and textures. No black paint should even be on a tree unless its a burnt, diseased or moldy area. LOTS of people cover their habitats with black when black occurs VERY LITTLE in nature. Something to keep in mind.