1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Using fiberglass resin as water

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by SCW, Jul 8, 2012.

1. SCW

SCW New Member

I was thinking of using fiberglass resin as water in a shallow 1/4 inch deep scene, but I am worried about it taking the paint off my duck's feet. Has anyone used this before and is it safe for the paint on the duck feet? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

seal the feet first

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Yes, fiberglass resin will screw up a paint job. I use Polytranspar Artificial Water, which is purified fiberglass resin in water scenes. I've even used it to gloss fish, BUT...they better be sealed very very well, or the paint will melt away as the resin begins to kick.

4. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Paint a couple coats of matte medium on them first.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Sorry Joey, but Artificial Water is 2-part polyurethane and not fiberglass resin. Pouring fiberglass epoxy that thick is asking for trouble. You'll likely overhead your entire scene, crystalize the fiberglass resin, and the entire mess will turn tea colored and crack. Use either artificial water or EnviroTex which IN MY OPINION is a better option than even Artificial Water.

6. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

I agree with George, evirotex is way better than that polytranspar stuff and smooth-on now sells stuff called crystal clear which is very very nice too....

7. SCW

SCW New Member

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Rick Carter told me that Polytranspar Artificial Water is purified fiberglass resin. He said it is refined to dry clear, rather than yellow, like typical resin. It could very well be something else, I'm just repeating what I was told.

9. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Why waste your time and money...... here is the best water . http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plastic-a/c5_1120_1156/index.html

10. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Polyester CASTING RESIN works well. Fiberglass resin is too hot for most applications. It will dry a tea color, whereas Clear Casting Resin will dry clear. The Artificial water is an expensive portion of Polyester Clear Casting Resin. Envirotex is great for a smooth surface as an end result, but the setup time is slow as it is a polyurethane. Too create splashes and such I use the casting resin. Allows me to be more creative. Joey, Rick told you right. If you can kick it off with MEKP it is a form of Polyester resin. If it has equal parts that you mix together, it is a form of polyurethane. Both come in varing grades. The urethane plastics are fine if you are using a mold. Cure time is slow. Hard to make timely effects like water splashes freehandedly.

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

My bad Joey. Guess I'm too old to separate polyurethane, polyester, and polymers. Either way, I stopped using Artificial Water after buying Frank Newmyer's habitat video and he said I wasn't smart enough to do it the way he does.

12. SCW

SCW New Member

antlerman,

I have used the clear polyester casting resin sold at hobby lobby for water in the past and was happy with it, but I did not have the duck's feet in it. I am guessing it will work for a duck standing in shallow water? I have sealed the feet with clear matte acrylic spray, do you reccommend something else so my paint doesn't come off? Thanks again for all the help.

13. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

If you painted the bottoms of the feet it would give you a small test area to try out the various products.

14. call u.s. composites and use their silmar 249 clear resin....half the cost of other clear resins that are simply relabelled by the supply co.feet need to be sealed as well...

15. antlerman

As was mentioned above, do a test, but personally I have never had a paint coming off issue. I do always seal of course. Also, U.S. Composites is where I buy my stuff also. 5 gals is just over 100.00. Why pay 30.00 for a quart when 30.00 will buy you a gal.

16. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Coated with Matte Medium after painting. Once dry I poured a couple layers of clear fiberglass resin and called it done. As many have replied, U.S. Composites has a great price on clear fiberglass resin (silmar 249 clear resin) . Dries just like water unless you tint it. Looking forward to seeing the pics when you get it done.
    Jim
    [​IMG]

17. The longevity of Envirotex is nill, turns yellow as hell and is unstable. Go with a quality product not stuff from the craft store. Just my two cents.

18. byrdman

I have pcs over 20 years old with enviro as a top coat over the resin and are as crystal clear as the day they were poured....you must have got a bad batch...

19. antlerman

Not trying to be a dick here, but I have a hard time excepting the idea that Envirotex is "crystal" clear. I have literally poured 100 gals of it over the years and can't support that claim. It is a 50/50 mix. The resin half is clear, but the hardner half is yellow. Mix the two together and you end up with a yellow tint. Slight, but it is still there. To prove this point, pour a mold with envirotex and pour one with clear casting resin. Once hard demold. The Envirotex will not be crystal clear, however the clear casting resin will be clear like crystal. Sorry, but I have to concur with Vernelson's post. I literally use Envirotex where I want a yellow tint as in a pond scene, or a bar/table top, but for a cystal clear application I use the clear casting resin. I use tints when applicable. Just my two cents.......

20. byrdman

excuse...its envirotex light and yes its crystal clear...both part a and b....and mixed....no yellow