1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gloss for nose?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by bdorsett, Jul 10, 2012.

1. bdorsett

bdorsett New Member

I bought a can of life tone liquid crystal (aerosol).
    It was the smallest size available, sprayed it into a paper plate and dipped a (clean) paint brush into it.
    Brushed it on a (dried) painted nose pad of a deer and it started removing paint.
    Anyone else have this problem?
    What type of gloss do you use?
    Thanks

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Yes, using it that way would remove the paint. Don't brush it on, spray it on. Do a quick flash coat, allow that to dry for 15 minutes, then come back with a heavier coat.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Never used a rattle can to clear a deer nose, wouldn't the overspray get everywhere? You can brush on modge podge and it will dry clear or maybe a urethane clear. 3bears

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I cannot understand why you sprayed it into a plate and then painted it on the nosepad. Follow Cole's recommendation.

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Yeah, there is overspray...just like with an airbrush. You just wipe it off, takes 10 seconds.

6. bdorsett

bdorsett New Member

You guessed it, worried about overspray.
    Live and learn.
    Let me know what you use.
    Thanks for the replies.

7. I use dammar varnish. You just brush it on.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. Super Fish Gloss Just spray on. Very simple.

9. This is an issue that I have also been wanting to address on here ( I have been brushing on and looseing color as well). Cole, you say just wipe the over spray off. Do you use thinner on a rag? How long would you wait from the time you spray till the time you wipe off over spray?

10. Ugly buck

Ugly buck New Member

don't worry about overspray after it is completely dry just use a medium or hard toothbrush & just brush it out. I use this same method for removing overspray in the ears when I paint them

11. tem

tem Well-Known Member

lay a rag over the deers face. right behind the nose. flash spray. your done.

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I use Super Fish Gloss, Liquid Crystal, Rustoleum lacquer, whatever I have on hand. I have all of my overspray paint removed before glossing the nose pad. After glossing, I immediately take a paper towel, squirt some lacquer thinner on it, and wipe the hair off around the face, staying away from anything I want to remain painted. It's not something you have to be real thorough with, just a quick wipe of the hair and I'm done in less than 10 seconds.

13. Nice, Thanks for the tip. I will give it a shot tomorrow if I get to the some of my finish work.

14. I wrap the deer's muzzle in a shop rag with the nose sticking out, then spray, to control the over spray. Simple! :)