1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Earliner adhesive

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by matchbook454, Jul 12, 2012.

1. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

Im guilty of using the 4 dollar stuff myself, its a good thing I dont pay for it. :p Ive been using Devcon II on all ears for 3 reasons. It has a 30 minute kick time, it gives me plenty of time to adjust hair patterns and groom. I do have to taxi the skin a certain way depending on weather im doing an ear forward or back. It has no smell at all like the 5 minute stuff at the hardware store.The last reason is because for a commercial head with the ear liner painted pink, I don't have to paint the ear skin unless the ear has issues. I clean the ear inside and out with lacquer thinner to get rid of the yellow look from the tanning oils. The northern deer I typically work with have lots of ear hair, when groomed you dont see much skin anyway.

This is a short hair southern deer mounted this way, no paint on that ear at all. Oh, and I dont card them either.

[​IMG]

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I just can't see spending that much on epoxy. That loctite stuff is $8/ounce!! I give less than $1 per ounce for 5 min epoxy that is just like the DevconII. The good stuff I do my ears with costs less than $.50 per ounce. Your customers pay the same no matter what product you are using, so no your customers aren't paying for expensive crap, you are just kidding yourself if you think they are.

3. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

That ear is too thin on the edges. LOL! I bet nobody has ever said that before.

4. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

I personally use magic smooth mixed with a little red flocking, the ear has a nice color so know painting required. My ears do not drum whatsoever, and I have plenty time to work with it. I have used roman 555 and buckeye pink earliner before as well. They work but there is more babysitting to them. I personally have only seen a few deer with the white inside the ear. Most deer that I see have a pink tint, early season deer have more red in them.

Attached Files:

5. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

This is the color that I achieve using that method. It may not be dead on, but on commercial work it: looks great, fast, and its there for the long run.

Attached Files:

6. matchbook454

matchbook454 Member

Thanks guys. I originally planned on using the hide paste but second guessed myself since I was worried about drumming. This is only my second deer and I'm doing it on my own. The $4 Locktite stuff was just easy for me to pick up at the hardware store vs. ordering from a taxi supply co. In the future I will look into the other adhesives/epoxies mentioned. I had a "Pro" teach me how to do my first one and although I did learn a LOT, his deer are not good looking at all. I was very dissapointed in how mine came out and felt that I could have done better on my own if I would have done things my way. Like I said, I did learn a lot though and even though I wasn't happy with my mount I think that the lesson was money well spent and do not regret it. I just have to take the good that I learned, put it to use, and forget about the bad stuff.

7. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Just another option to get a color that is very close to the opaque color that George was referring to: I use pink liners, i use pink tinted paste, and I will paint with flesh, BUT THEN I also paint over anything that has been painted with flesh with a Gold Toner. That gets rid of the titty pink color and gives a nice ear waxy color. I use Gold Toner over everything. makes a HUGE difference in appearance. Paint does not stick to hair. I clean the hair with a terry cloth towel. Very easily done with nice results.

8. intohunting

intohunting Member

AZ
    Antlerman,
    What kind of pink color does that get rid of? I don't see that listed on the Hydromist color chart. LOL.

9. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

He is referring to the fact that skin is translucent and shows the color that is deep in. When you paint, you are laying color thick on top. The gold just simulates a layer of skin over top of the coloration.
    The only time I ever saw pink titties was on a true redhead.

10. craigjw

craigjw http://www.back2lifetaxidermy.com

It was expected you would be the first to argue George, but the simple fact is you are wrong. I have pictures of deer in northern minnesota, only about 20 miles from canada that have ears that appear pink. Even mid january pics! Again, they dont have pink ears, they only appear pink. The skin may be a different color, but when you look at it, it appears pink so i dont really care what color it is. I need to read the rest of the thread, but as much as you argue this, have you ever posted a pic of a deer with white ears? And it cant be a pic in the dark using flash because im sure that would be white.

11. craigjw

Just realized, we have all argued this with George for years. George, have you ever been tested to see if you are color blind? :) You may not be able to see the color pink? Really the only logical explaination. I base this on you saying you have yet in 60 years to see a deer that didn't have white ears. However, every time this comes up there are piles of pics of deer with pink ears posted. That means if you are not color blind, your previous statement would be false. Even if it is a southern deer, its still a deer.

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Craig, today's your lucky day. I'm in no mood for a pissing contest but I repaired TV'S and radios when they had tube and color coded resistors so I'm not colorblind. Look up translucent and opaque and get back to me. I paint all my deer ears BTW.

13. johnnyb

johnnyb Member

If you want to try epoxies, try the Devcon 2-part that sets in 30 minutes. I buy the 9 oz. bottles and will do about 5 or 6 pairs of earliners for about $25.00 shipped from ebay. My brother is a custom knife maker and uses Devcon epoxies exclusively and once I tried it, I won't use anything else. I have used the Loc-tite but the fumes are much worse and just doesn't work as well. When I mix up my epoxies, I put a small dab of white and flesh paint and mix well. Once they are set up, you have a nice light flesh color and requires no painting of the ears. My two cents worth. Hope it helps, but it looks like you've gotten plenty of help on this subject already.

14. gotta go with john and george. so mach faster, no screwing around.............set it......and forget it!!

15. craigjw

Looked up translucent and opaque, means what I thought, turns out it didnt make a difference, ears still appear pink on a live deer in daylight.

16. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

Take a flashlight and shin it behind your own ear, it will be pink and red. Go out in the cold and your ears turn red. Run around and get all heated up, your ears turn red.
    Its all about lighting and the amount of blood that is flowing threw the ears.
    I use pink ear liners and tint my glue pink, then paint the ear whit to tone everything down.
    My customers like it, that is all I care about because they have the money. :)

17. Easy to get and does the job!! Epoxy!!

[​IMG]

18. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

...and costs a fortune and gives you no freedom to taxi skin. Has anyone ever noticed there is a lot of skin between the ear and head and no where to put it? It's because most of that gets taxied back up the ear itself and you can't do that if you have used 5 min epoxy or bondo. Just something to think about.

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Cole, you need lessons in properly using epoxy. That ",loose skin" gets used in the ear BUTT, not in the cartilagenious area of the ear where the epoxy is used.

20. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I sculpt most of my ear butts with the earliners with Critter clay, carefully remove them and freeze them. I take them out one at a time and use 555 just like I do for the whole mount. I find if I thoroughly sand the earliner and use the correct size, they never drum and I have plenty of time to work the skin around as the earbutt thaws our as I mount the deer. Works a lot better for me than having a rigid epoxy or bondo ear to deal with. I like having the freedom to move everything around as i go to get the perfect fit. JMO.