1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paynes Gray

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by ryanstraw, Jul 12, 2012.

1. ryanstraw

ryanstraw my first brook trout on a fly 13"

I keep having problems with this color. I got some from polytranspar and it blasts out of my airbrush like a spray paint can and I just got some from W&W and the same thing happened. ??? My airbrush is thoroughly cleaned and works fine with any other color but this color is what gets me every time. Even when it starts it comes out in a small mist but peppers within the mist. I use waterbase paints but if I have to I will get laquer just for that color. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

I use water based paints and some colors will spray differently for me as well. Sometimes I will thin them a bit with windex. That and adjusting the air pressure should help you.

3. ryanstraw

How should I adjust the pressure up or down? I plan on getting a new compressor because my old one can't regulate air flow.

4. I recently thinned Polytranspar scale detail green (waterbase) with rubbing alcohol and it worked awesome! I was having trouble with it gumming up the airbrush, tried water and it spit during spraying. The alcohol was perfect.

5. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Maybe it should be called PAINS Grey, lol. All paints have their quirks because they are all made with different pigments. Ryan I would use less pressure for the PG. If you look at the pike I posted on TWFP I used the W&W Candy PG over all the dark areas on the head and body, no issues with spraying @ between 5-10 psi.

I wouldn't add alcohol to the paint as that is messing up the chemical integrity of the paint. Water , extender or a bit of retarder is all I would ever add to the W&W paint.

PB

6. ryanstraw

PAINS grey is right! :D I forgot W&W made a candy paynes gray I will have to get some.

7. johnnyb

johnnyb Member

Don't know what you are using the Paynes Grey on, but if that shade of grey doesn't have to be used, then try Wildlife Colors
    # 0-160 Neutral Grey Acrylic. It is smooth as silk out of the airbrush. I use only water based paints and I use this one exclusively to mask over the repairs and bone shrinkage areas of fish, especially smallmouth. The other colors will be more readily seen and you won't notice any repair work. I also use rubbing alcohol to thin my WB paints with along with retarder and I never have a problem with them. Also check the tips you use in your airbrush as some paints are a bit more particular. The only one that seems to be a bit trickier for my Paasche is Superhide White. Hope this is of some help.