1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

defrosting deer head

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ginevive, Jul 14, 2012.

1. I am about to defrost a deer head, meat-in, for a shoulder mount. Any recommendations? I did not find much while searching Defrosting. I am thinking that I don't want the ears, etc defrosting before the rest of the head. Should I unwrap the whole thing, and just wrap the ears to prevent this? Ice the ears? Also wondering how long it'll take; I am thinking at least a day, although the weather is hot here. Any tips would be appreciated!

It's a decent buck, and is frozen solid; frozen since November.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Just let it thaw. I prefer to unwrap it and put it on old fridge rack over a tote so air can circulate and fluids can drain. You can also hang it up by the rack. Letting air flow around it will help it thaw more evenly. Start caping as soon as you can but don't rush it. 3bears

3. Thank you. I will post my progress as time goes by :)

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

I get alot of wts in that are frozen and when I thaw them out, I lay them on my skinning table. I take a bath towel and wrap it around the ears and usually wrap one around the nose. I feel it will insulate the ears and nose alittle while the rest of the head thaws. Been doing it like that for years.

5. CarterCat

CarterCat New Member

This is a newb question. What is the point in wrapping the ears and nose while defrosting?

6. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

They will thaw out faster than the rest of the head, so wrapping them will hopefully delay that.

7. Matt is correct how ever its a slow way of doing it. if you plan on tanning it your self and only after that you can fill a garbage can full of water throw the beast in a few hours later you can skin it and turn it , the heat in the summer is the only reason i do it that way . other wise i do what Matt dose , go strat to salt after skinning and then to the pickel ONLY if tanning at home mark c

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I hang mine by the antlers in and air conditioned room over my wash vat. Wrapping the ears and nose is a good idea, but I've never done that. I hang them up before leaving the shop, and when I arrive the next morning, they are ready to skin.

9. Matt

Matt Active Member

Keep in mind that I loosely put these towels over the ears/nose area, the rest of the head I leave exposed as the ears and nose will thaw quicker than that rest of the head. It's just alittle added insulation to keep the ears cool while the head thaws. It does help to control the thawing process.

10. Good to paint those ears with stop rot as it thaws. I used to lose hair on the back of the ears until I started stop rotting them.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I have been doing it how I suggested for years with 0 issues. Stop rot is a good thing, use it if you feel you need to. Matt has his way that works for him no doubt. His work speaks for him. I have found that leaving it lay on a hard surface the part that is laying on the table or floor stays frozen long after the rest is thawed. I feel that the air being able to move around it thaws it quicker and more evenly, yes the ears are going to thaw first. I don't think there is a way around that. 3bears

12. sportsmen wildlife

sportsmen wildlife New Member

I keep alot of ice pack's from shipping. I do like Matt does except I put a few ice pack's under the towel and around the ear's. Then you just throw the ice pack's back in the freezer. This work's for fox's and other slippage prone animal's. In the winter time my skinning room is cold enough to just let animal's thaw on there own.

13. When i get a frozen Head from a customer I never know how the customer took care prior to freezing. I also do as Matt said but I also spry with Stop Rot all over.

14. Thanks for the replies. I had some events that are delaying me, but will take these into consideration before thawing again. I definitely want to invest in stop-rot, because I am not sure how my uncle's deer processor took care of it.

15. And never try skinning the head out while parts of the skin is still frozen. It's hard to feel the cape and muscle tissue and you will end up cutting through the hide!

16. Exactly. Learned that the hard way. Deer looked like pinhead when it was drying.

17. paul e

paul e New Member

If there frozen with rack i hang by rack
    if i got it caped as you do with some i thaw it in a ice chest-it will thaw a little slower in the heat of the summer
    never tried in water - that might be a option especially where stop rot is used
    in the deep south and if your short of a/c temps can reach 90
    things are different for different people

the thing about thinking if you need stoprot or not is the unknown
    you simply cannot know how all capes were treated in field
    in the deep south and since using stoprot up front i get a whole lot less suprises

i would never suggest wetting a cape because of bacteria in normal circumstances but a few
    experiments with stoprot might sway me a bit