1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Small Cat On A Stick (Literally) From Scratch ...

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by LordRusty, Jul 14, 2012.

1. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    ... And then some! The pelvis and leg bones were carved from Basswood. The skull is a real African Wildcat skull. The clay used is Chavant Hard Styling Clay.

[​IMG]
    With some of the sculpting tools in use ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She still has a long way to go to completion, but it is a neat little project!

2. Very cool!

3. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

perfect IN MOTION pose.......can't wait to see the finished product.....did you ever do anything with the vervet you got from me?

4. LordRusty

Ohio
    He is next on my list. If I cannot get a male Vervet skeleton, I'll just have to carve up a set of bones for him as well, then proceed to sculpt a sitting model in clay. As with this African Wildcat, it will be molded and made available to the public. Don't know who might carry them, but I have my first and second choices in mind.

5. Wow that is fantastic to see how it comes together.

Beautiful work John.

6. awesome work ..cant wait to see it :D

7. Mountainman Vic

Mountainman Vic New Member

Very impressive!

8. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Very nice John

9. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

Love it cant wait to see the finished cat.

10. cwt

cwt Active Member

Nice John cant wait to see it. Always mean to make a trip to your shop since i am a hop skip and a jump away. would love to see all your work up close

11. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

Might have to use that on some smaller bobcats down here..

12. LordRusty

Ohio
    It would probably work for you there.

When I started this project, I ordered one of the smallest Bobcat mannikins on the market for the African Wildcat skin I have - bought her from bookumdano - and it was too big in every respect ... nothing that cutting it to pieces and putting it back together couldn't fix ... but it would have needed a new head regardless.

I decided to sculpt a head from my skull collection - I have 7 African Wildcat skulls, of slightly varying sizes ... males and females - so creating a head for her was no problem. I then decided I would create a whole mannikin just for this little gal.

I ordered a small female bobcat carcass from Dirtholeman figuring I could use its bones, but even they were too big and of different proportions!

So I set out to try my hand at carving some bones. I researched what I needed to know - adding to my ever growing 'know-it-all' status - made my patterns and carved the bones, then assembled them as any normal armature, and got started. A lot of research has gone under the bridge with this project.

But yeah ... she should work for many of the smaller Bobcats out there. And her simple standing pose should be easy enough to alter into any pose one could want. She's really well detailed and she's not even complete yet.

I'll post her final photos when she's finished ... but don't hold your breath ... I'm really taking my time with this little one! ;D

13. coyote4

coyote4 Member

Verrrrry nice John!

14. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

Sweet work John!

15. Awsome !