1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird feet

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by LMax67, Jul 16, 2012.

1. LMax67

LMax67 New Member

Need some help, just got some Oscellated turkeys, Crested guan, and Currasows in. What can i do with the feet since they are all dried up and shrunken? Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. I would say soak them in soapy water and injects them with the same!

3. LMax67

LMax67 New Member

I have tried that on a couple others i have done without much success but at least they were flying birds and didn't show much. A few of these are going to be standing and strutting so looking for some other ideas.

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Put the feet in a salt solution with some bacteriacide, just like you were going to soak up a dried hide, and then put the whole container in the refrigerator. You can also use a pickling solution. They can stay in there for weeks if necessary. They won't get as soft as fresh feet just from the salt water, but they will become soft enough to pose and inject and you won't have dozens of leaks caused from trying to rehydrate them by injection.

5. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

I've done many ocellated and I'm certain that they were as dry as yours, if not worse, and all have rehydrated back after injecting soapy water into the toes. It can be extremely difficult to inject because they are so dry but just keep at it. Try using a heavy gauge needle like an 18 GA.

6. Try Injecting with windex. works well too