1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wal-Mart Displays

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by joeym, Jul 17, 2012.

1. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I was contacted by my local Wal-Mart about putting some stuff in their sporting good department. This was a good way for me to move some stuff out of my shop that was collecting dust, and maybe to capitalize on it a little more. I was surprised that they allowed me to put my shop name and phone number there. If anyone else out there has a Wal-Mart display, show what you have in your local store.

Here are a few shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The young lady that runs the sporting goods section lives on the next hill from us. I think she will call me if a new manager has issues with my stuff being there.

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Our Wal-Marts.....

We have 2 Wal-Marts in my area and they won't even let you put business cards on their counter.....super jerks.

Kerby...

3. I have heard some bad things on here from folks that had stuff at WalMart. The managers ended up taking the stuff home if I remember right. I would have something in writing with them that states these are your mounts and are on loan.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Send 'em a picture of this, and tell them that taxidermy increased the sporting goods sales by 100% the first month! The young lady that called me said that in the store policy reads: "Contact your local taxidermist" for decorative mounts in the sporting goods section.

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i remember the target and venture stores back in as early as 1972 having taxidermist display their work.....all of the walmarts i have been in over the last 10 years or so have done the same thing....surprised your area is just getting around to it

6. Bob Mead

Bob Mead Mead Taxidermy Studio, LLC

WalMart still sells guns? Not in AZ. I had approval to set up a display at the WM in New Mexico when I lived there...until the regional manager caught wind of it, and he gave the request an enthusiastic, tree-hugging "NO!"

It amazes me the mentality of some of the uninformed jack-holes in our society...

7. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Bob,........

Bob, Wal-Marts in my are still sell guns in their stores.

:)

Kerby...

8. mimes

mimes Member

Every Wal-Mart is different about their policies. Nice display Joey. Some guys will argue that you will get alot of price shoppers from the Wal-Mart crowd, but you will get alot of paying shoppers from that crowd also!

9. sportsmen wildlife

sportsmen wildlife New Member

Well here is my story about WALMART. Got a call from the sporting good's manager that they where looking for a taxidermist to display their work, and put signs and brochure's for advertising their business, In return they would have a nice display. I told him I have nothing to put up right now, but if he would give me three week's I could have A ped deer, a lifesize bobcat and a 3D fish. He say's that sound's great. Wanting an exceptional display I went and measured the top's of the gun cabinet's so my pedestal's would fit perfectly. Not only where these my personal mount's but I changed the way I had planned on mounting each one for display in my shop. Well one week later he call's and say's his boss want's something in there within the next couple of day's. I said you know what give me a week and I will have all the mount's ready. He say's that sound's great. We even set up a time and date when I would be setting up. After working all day and night for the next week, (I also built the ped's myself). Me and my wife head to walmart with the mount's. Walk to the sporting good's section and there where mount's already set up from a new PT taxidermist,a few day's earlier.
    I do not believe I have ever been so pissed off in my life. The manager was not there but another was about to call the cop's on me for being very vocal. Not only did this put me behind on my client's work but I had no less than $2,000 put in these mount's that at that moment I didn't have, and I had no in-tension's of mounting my personal mount's in the position's I did them in. The only reason I thought walmart would be a great place to advertise is because the nearest sporting good's store is over an hour away. To this day I can not step foot in that walmart for fear of setting in jail for 30 or so day's.

10. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Had 6 displays in 6 Wall Marts last Sept thru Feb.
    Every store within 40 miles from here. I now only have them in my son's store. He's assistance manager at the Sandusly Wall Mart.
    I do this more for him than anything else.

0 business from Wall Mart clients.
    Cover your mounts under your insurance.
    Your wasting your time if your not the cheapest guy in your area.
    The locals all know my studio, and the price shoppers know my price so advertising anywhere within 30 miles of me is WORTHLESS.
    I did it more to keep my name in the public eye just like coke and pepsi do.
    Wall Mart to me is and was a waste of my time.

PS. 2 of the stores when I returned to collect my mounts had other taxidermists cards and flyer's in my diplay holders.
    Joey tell her to watch your sign, I have seen this happen, Guy walks in talks to person behind counter, states I have new info to put out for the taxidermy, guy puts out another taxidermist fl yer and cards in the holder.....

11. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

I did it with Wal-Mart years ago , when they first opened up here. I knew the dept. manager and all went well.....for a while. I did get a surprising amount of work out of it. Joey take a look at the picture of your display and notice all those fluorescent lights. They are on 24 hours a day. You can't believe how much they will fade your mounts in a VERY short period of time!

12. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

I have had displays in wall-Mart, and I have had all the problems Dennis has had,I would put out my business cards there just to have other taxidermist take mine out and put theres in,They did not take care of my mounts, and just in a few days they will have a ton of dust on them.
    I did not get any business from them eather......Just waste of time for me....Lots of luck Joeym.

13. roundyracer

roundyracer been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

I'd be pissed too.But if it was FT instead of PT would you felt different ?

14. sportsmen wildlife

sportsmen wildlife New Member

No, I did not care about the full or part time aspect, I don't even think this other Taxidermist new what happened.I do understand that taxidermy is a cut throat business and sometime's I even wish I had a full time job and done taxidermy on the side. I do(and my wife) support a family of six with my business and do it full time so my family depends on what work I bring in.

15. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

You will have to go clean your mounts of dust weekly or they will soon turn to crap. I fell for that trap years ago...ONCE. Never again. Like already said, other taxidermists will gladly take your business by replacing business cards. Heck I had a friend go by and ask who did the work to only have the manager tell them another taxidermist's name as he gave him a brochure from them. A HUGE waste of time and $....

16. Murphey it looks great. Looks even better in person. Dang it boy, who killed that giant deer?

17. Re: Re: Wal-Mart Displays

I wouldn't personally do it just for the soul cause that the guy done it in our walmart and I got alot of his work people around here seem to not like his mounts lol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

18. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I think you'll recognize him when you look in the mirror!!! That's a management buck for davidp...anything that size or smaller he takes out of the herd to keep from screwing up the genetics, LOL!!!

19. meopilite

meopilite New Member

MN
    My local WalMart doesnt allow mounts in the store because they're afraid of people protesting against killing animals. But yet they sell guns..... ??? go figure.

20. Matt

Matt Active Member

I have had work displayed in some local places over the years and it really didn't set the world on fire as far as work was concerned. Most of the time it was just price shoppers. Hope it works out better for you Joey.