1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

how we do capercaillies

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by RusTax, Jul 17, 2012.

1. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    Some of you make a capercaillies , I think everyone will be interesting to see how this is done in Russia.Normally I do not use commercial manikins birds, but when it comes to making large birds, I buy manikins.This time I'll show you how I had to remake mannequin

2. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

great

3. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    1. Mannequins capercaillies we usually come with their necks, sometimes, you need to change the position of the head and neck, then it must cut.
    The first picture shows the two manikins, one of them is altered.
    [​IMG]

4. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    2.the other side is closer
    [​IMG]

5. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    3.As the head of a mannequin is already generated, it is necessary to prepare the eye sockets and a seat for the beak
    [​IMG]
    4.the other side is closer
    [​IMG]
    5.Now, let us skin. First, install the wire legs, she is introduced by the foot and moves further to the knee joint, then the wire is fixed to the bone in any convenient way.
    [​IMG]
    6.now form the muscles of the leg with woodwool.
    [​IMG]
    7.Then, all tucked into skin, it is important to dress skin on the leg freely and not in the tightness.
    [​IMG]

6. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    8.Now, install the wire in the wing. I will never enter the wire to the wrist joint, insert only in the humerus. In this case, is the natural movement in the wrist joint, and nothing prevents him to lay it in place.
    [​IMG]
    9. Once the wire is installed, form the muscles of the forearm with the clay, and the free end of the wire is fixed to the shoulder. as the secondary wing feathers were separated from the wing, in place of their attachment I put acrylic, so they then stuck to the forearm.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    10.skin of the wing clothed
    [​IMG]
    11.time to install the base of the beak to the maneken.I do it with nails, but you can use the method of Bondo
    1.[​IMG]
    2.[​IMG]
    3.[​IMG]
    4.[​IMG]

7. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    12.to create one smooth transitions in the neck, I use the clay
    [​IMG]
    13.then, fill the orbit with epoxy
    [​IMG]
    14.before dressing skins, rubbed his head with acrylic
    [​IMG]
    15.dressed in the skin of the head and neck, you can now set eyes, do not forget to check their symmetry
    1.[​IMG]
    2.[​IMG]
    3.[​IMG]

8. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    16.Now is quick to assemble, first held in place the wings
    1.[​IMG]
    2.[​IMG]
    17.Now install legs
    1.[​IMG]
    2.[​IMG]
    18.After all the limbs are set into place, you can sew the skin. there is a subtlety in the stitching to grab the needle as close as possible to the edge of the cut and not much pull the seam to the edge of the cut does not overlap each other. This will then more easily and accurately put the skin in place.
    [​IMG]
    19.all sewn up, the bird is set on a stand and positioned as desired.
    [​IMG]
    20. In conclusion, the entire assembly is left to put the bird's tail. I fixed it with hot glue
    1.[​IMG]
    2.[​IMG]
    3.[​IMG]
    4.[​IMG]

9. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    21.Acrylic under the skin after I uploaded the entire assembly through the small hole under the wing.After all, I have been laying the feathers and install the necessary bandages
    1.[​IMG]
    2.[​IMG]
    3.[​IMG]

10. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    The final result of the work, I will show later.Maybe for some people, this information was useful, I hope you too will share their experiences in the future, thank you for your attention ;)

11. Capercaillie

Capercaillie New Member

Fantastic job,, ive got one of those manakins with the head on, im gonna try using it with the skull cut down like that, thanks!!!

12. That was VERY cool to see! Even though I dont use them, Its cool to see a ridged mannikin sculpted with some different approaches in mind. Beautifull bird! Thanks for sharing!

13. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Thanks for the post !!!! You don't see the clipped bill or half head method used very often . I use it on all of my upland birds . Cant wait to see the finished bird .

14. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Awesome post!! Big thanks to you!!!!!

15. boar master

boar master Respect and preserve the Nature,you are part of it

great tutorial,thanks for sharing

16. wings II

wings II New Member

Excellent. The cast neck is very cool...I've done it on a swan, but could see where it would work well on a commercial pheasant mold as well. Thanks for posting. :) :)