1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First snake

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by kurtro08, Jul 19, 2012.

1. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

This was my first snake, cane break rattle snake.

Attached Files:

2. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

I know that the eyes are off but any thing else that jumps out?

Attached Files:

3. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

Attached Files:

4. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

.......It was a display at a local bow shop, I got a lot of business because of this piece.

Attached Files:

5. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Besides the eyes........

Besides the eyes, the tail is way too high, the lip line is off, shrinkage all over the head, and too much gloss on the snake. Better to use a matte finish instead of gloss. Head/neck junction is off.

:)

Kerby...

6. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

Thanks Kerby, I have a long ways to go in the reptile department but Ill get it one day

7. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

keep at it

8. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

what jumps out at me. is the number of rattles on that snake.

9. B2L

B2L New Member

I don't think ive ever seen them coiled with limp rattles but maybe its because he has a million if them...

10. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Unless.....

Unless he is rattling them the rattles can be relaxed. Also the number of rattles exagertaes this.

:)

Kerby...

11. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Since this is your first snake I say well done! As already its been said "the devil is in the details"....watch your eye sets, lip lines and shrinkage. I too dont like to see such a high rattle off the ground, its just unrealistic looking to me. Also watch your tail filler as its very lumpy looking, not sure if you squirted caulk or put clay up there for form transition but it needs to be smooth. Also you needed to repaint his head as its pretty faded probably from slippage as Timbers can be known for. Dont care for the wet glossy look also, looks like its wet which is not normal unless he just climbed out of the creek....LOL. All in all good job on your first and try to fine tune some of these things on your next one.

A note on the Rattles, unless that was a captive snake..... that would be a pretty darn impressive set of rattles for a wild snake for them to stay intact and grow that long for a wild caught snake...... they usually get broke off once they get that long. Not saying its impossible thats why I say its a impressive set if they are really his. It almost appears to me that a second set of same sized rattles were added to make his rattles look bigger. By counting up to the 6th Rattle from the tail I see a off colored faded one that looks like the bottom capsule of another set that was added. Just FYI

12. I keep catching myself trying to click "Like" at the bottom of each post... lol First Snake..... looks good, take everyone's advise.....

13. fish daddy

fish daddy New Member

First one good job ...they only get better from there.

14. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

I used clay to make transition from tail to form it really jumps out at me now that its pointed out! Honestly I have never seen a snake mount in progress or fleshing so that is where my problems lay. I did not know what to use to flesh or anything I went in blind on this one. The head did slip I airbrushed some but didnt know exactly how dark to make it. Believe it or not this is his rattles and is all natural no add ons or anything its as real as it gets. To top it off he was 100% wild killed in pine saplings at my hunting camp! I did over gloss him but I was trying to go for the just shed look and didnt know how to pull it off. He looked more like the first two pics i think the camera flash made it look worst in the bottom pictures.
    My only real issue is I am scared to do the mouth, everybody keeps telling me horror stories of taxidermist dying from it. I dont want to be that guy that head stone reads death by dead snake.
    Thank you all for the kind words and I am going to keep at it. I have 6 more in the freezer to do.