1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

fox, eye position

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Rob58, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Rob58

Rob58 New Member

hi can any of you guys give me an idea if my eye positions on this head are anywhere near what they should be. i have been working on mask for a little while
    but the eyes always seem not quite right i am working from plenty of reference photos any thoughts or help many thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

To me, It looks as if your eyes are set too far apart. I typically set my fox eyes at 2 inches center of pupil to center of pupil as a starting point. But keep in mind they need to be set at the proper angles. Here are some pictures of a red fox skull after being skinned and they should help.

Now, before some one comes on here and criticizes me for using dead reference, keep in mind that you, as the artist need to set the the eyes so they are focused properly. Its obvious the eyes in this dead skull are not focused.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Rob58

Rob58 New Member

thanks bill for the advise i checked the eye distance like you said and they are 2 inches Apart pupil to pupil they must be pretty close would you say.
    i will post the finished mask when complete.

4. Useful tip as I will too be working on fox masks too, but with the skull as a base