1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

To Paint or not to Paint.... that is the question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bowhunter Nap, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Bowhunter Nap

Bowhunter Nap New Member

I see some taxidermist paint the ears, some do not. What is everyones opinion? I do not paint them, but if I did start doing it what would you recommend?

2. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

I don't see why you wouldn't paint them. I use pink earliners on all my deer, sometimes it shows through in places most of the time it doesn't. the skin is always an unnatural color when it dries.

I paint mine off white, then mist in some dusty pink and then a very very light shade of the same brown color that i put over the eyes to tone down the pink. then I rub down good with my finger and then clean the hair off.

3. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

I think I may try this on my doe. I never got around to painting the ears, lol. Some taxidermists don't paint the ears. The guy that did my husbands buck never painted them. I know cause they are the same color as my doe's ears. I guess some people just don't take the time to do it on commercial mounts. I didn't think mine needed it, she has very hairy ears, but I can see some places in her ears now that could use some paint.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Paint them, they will turn either dark brown or black. Does that match your reference? Not mine. Don't start your career by trying to cut corners. 3bears

5. Try mixing up a couple drops of gill red or turkey feet red in a cup with your hide paste in it. apply to ear liner. mount it up. it gives you a nice light pink ear. If you get it too red in the cup, add more hide paste to lighten it up. works for me. On some deer, if needed, I use a little black umber, or chocolate brown on the finish work.
    Jim