1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Teal and hooded megranser

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Arduckaholic, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

I was going to mount a green wing teal drake and a drake hooded merganser and was trying to get ideas on combining the two into one piece?

2. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

lily pads diving hoody completely under with a greenwing startled raised up partway off the water looking sharply downward at the ''submarine'' dashing underneath him

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Like the concept Alan.

4. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

Love the idea but the guy I'm doing them for don't know jack about ducks and insisted they be cupped like a mallard I finally got him to understand that these don't really do that and tried to give him options but he wants them flying???

5. Jorlan

Jorlan New Member

Flying Hooded?? ........what a shame :( kidding.....not really

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If you could mount the teal sitting and the kamikaze lawn dart buzzing by, over head, like I have seen them do many times. That would also look nice I think, but flying together, not. They fly together how often? About never. But if this is what they insist on just do a good job on each bird and earn those green ribbons. 3bears

7. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

He wanted the hoodie cupped like mallard lol. I know they never fly together I just wondered if I could incorporate the two into a single mount somehow or just go ahead and do them separate.

8. IDForkHorn

IDForkHorn Common sense just isn't that common anymore

Please excuse my poor paint skills, just look at the ducks!
    [​IMG]

9. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Have you ever seen a hooded fly? It's hood isn't fluffed out, rather, it lays back along its neck more so than a wood duck. I also believe you wont see their wings quite like that. I know the customer wants that, but I believe if you tilt the hoody up on his side somewhat a move his wings just a touch out you may appear more natural and still please the customer.

10. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

I would have to disagree with you M.T. - there are plenty of photos of a flying hoodie with it's crest up. Google "flying hooded merganser" and you will see a good mix of both. I think it's more a persons "perception" that they wont do it than anything.

11. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I agree feather, the feathers on the hood are so light that when they are flying the hood will lay straight back, but when there is any resistance to the wind in banking or slowing down, the feathers will pop back up resulting in seeing the hood. My Bad!

12. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

Awesome mount!

13. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

When I picked them up I had a bufflehead and a golden eye....... Turned magically into a hoodie and green wing!

14. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

That's what happens when you get all these new guys starting to duck hunt. I can see if they can't identify them in the air, but once they are on the water, well that's pretty bad. A bufflehead for a hoody, maybe, but a goldeneye for a teal, wow!

15. Why are you opposed to giving him what he wants? Serious question. Are you concerned that it will be a bad representation of your work or something?

I'd mount them both cupped and throw them on the same piece of driftwood and get them out the door. You gave him your input so it won't be on you if his hunting buddies start razzing him over his stupid mount. It might end up being really cool, definitely unique. You never know either, the guy might be telling you the truth. I'm sure at some point in history a green-winged teal and a hooded merganser flew together. It's really not that impossible of an occurrence...it probably happens a lot more than we think....

Mounts are memories. Let this guys have his memory even if you don't believe him. It sounds like he'll probably be upset or unimpressed with any other presentation you do anyway.

16. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

If a customer wanted me to mount his walleye jumping out of the water in lilypads, I'd probably try to talk him out of it because it isn't a very common occurance. Hell, I don't know if I've e ver seen one hardly break the surface let alone jump out of the water, and then in lilypads. But hey, the customer is always right. Now, when his buddies see the mount and ask him who mounted it and that the taxidermist should've known better, the owner may say something to save face and blame it on the taxidermist knowing that it was his choice. Ya da ya da ya da, oh well, birds will be birds and fish will be fish, life goes on. Just do them up.

17. Pretty simple solution here. If you're worried about doing it his way out of fear that it could reflect poorly on your craftsmanship, and he doesn't like the alternatives you've suggested, tell him you don't want to do it.

He's commissioning a piece of art. Obviously there needs to be collaboration between the artist and whoever's paying for the artist's work, but in the end if you don't want to do what he wants, and he doesn't want what you want to do, shake hands and move on.

Personally, it wouldn't bother me to do it. I don't think anyone will knock your work if the birds are good. Birds that are bad, are still bad even if they are mingling with the right species. I think conversely that many more would probably notice it and appreciate it the way he wants it...it's certainly much more of an eye-catcher than a standard mallard mount. In case you haven't noticed bird hunters (and bird taxidermists) are weird. They like goofy crap. They like to bring in a bird that's "special" because it has a white feather out of place or because they think it's a hybrid...or they want a GWT and a hoodie mounted flying together.