1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Re: Pressure washing for fleshing game hides for taxidermy.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by DeerMan43, Jul 24, 2012.

1. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    So I have been doing a bit of looking around to see if I could get any input and some how to input on using a presure washer for fleshing game hides for taxidermy work. I have watched a video on YouTube but it is only a very short video. So I am going to ask a few questions and maybe someone can help me out. Thanks in advance for the help.

(1) Does anyone know where to find a longer video of the process.

(2)What psi pressure washer is the best to use for all game hides.

(3)Any special tip for the process needed.

(4)Any posts on here that may be helpful, I did google search and found a old post but for some reason cannot find it on the site when I search.

(5)Does anyone currently use this method.

(6)What should I watch out for when starting this method, I plan on doing a trial run on some spare green capes to try it out first.- I currently do It by hand and have done this for about 5 years and do not mind doing it the "old way" but, My business is expanding and the need to do things faster has come about. Thanks again any other tips or suggestions please comment or pm me.

2. Taxidermy today instructional dvd's has one by Brian Harness about pressure washing. $25 plus shipping

3,000 psi or more and a turbo tip.

3. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

There's nothing to it. Get a 3000 maybe 3200psi pwasher and a rotary tip and let a rip! That's the only way I've ever done them and don't plan on changing. Build you a board to set the hide on wash one side then flip it over

4. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Thanks again. I will check it out.

5. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Sounds good,any worry about ripping or putting holes in the hide.

6. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

yep you can put wholes in the hide in some cases pretty easy. like fox and yet other's you can really get after it. their will be a learning period. so use a couple scrap hides to practice with. better than knife any day in my experience.

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You must have the rotary tip (turbo nozzle) to flesh large mammal skins. I use the yellow tip on small mammals and turkeys. On birds, idle the engine down to a minimum, and proceed with caution.

8. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

I've only used it on whitetails. Gets them thin and clean and with the rotary tip it would be very hard to tear one. Has anyone ever used a washer on a bobcat?

9. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Thanks, I am planning on buying one soon. Have to check lows or home depot to see who has the best buy and go from there. I need to find some pix of what type of beam people make to put large hides on like for bear and other large hides. Anyone have some pix of their setups or where to find some pix for this purpose. I have used a small electric washer for turkeys and it worked pretty good like you said had to go at it slowly so you don't make holes but it worked rather nice with limited fleshing weel work. Thanks for the input anyother replies would be helpful if anyone has more input on the photos I talked about.

10. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

Just used plywood in shape of big ironing board. Get a good rotary tip though not some cheap one. Make sure it's ceramic you'll pay around a 100$ but it's worth it

11. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Your talking about when you cut out the shape of the "ironing board" right?

12. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

Correct not real sure exact measurements we rough it with whatever saw handy and truck on wear it out make a new one. But I'm sure a better one can be made lol

13. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Thanks alot, I cant wait to try it out hope it will be a real time saver for the shop.

14. joeym

I do about 25 cat a year with a pressure washer. Until you get used to pressure washing, use the yellow tip nozzle on bobcats. Once you get comfortable, you can go turbo. A turbo will flesh a cat in 5 minutes actual work time.

15. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

Oh I forgot to mention we don't use it on the face obviously. Does anyone use them on the face of white tail?

16. joeym

Richard Noles did a seminar at NTA a few years back where he totally fleshed a deer with a pressure washer. On the face, he split the ears, eyes, lips, and nostrils with a knife, then fleshed with the yellow flat nozzle at a reduced RPM

17. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

may get some old hides and try that! We wash them and do the face by hand

18. cajunboy75

cajunboy75 Member

How does wetting the cape affect the further steps to tanning? Salting mainly

19. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Should be no problem with the salting process. What I plan on doing is let it hang for a few minutes to let most of the water run off the cape. Then just salt the way you normally do. might just take longer in the dring process but I hang fans over my salt bin and dring area anyway.

20. joeym

Drape the cape over the dasher on a washer and spin for a minute or two, then towel dry the skin side prior to salting.