1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

If you can't get a ribon at a show should you be charging customers

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by sportsmans dream, Jul 25, 2012.

1. sportsmans dream

sportsmans dream New Member

Ohio
    This might cause an up roar but hey some things need to be said. If you can't get a ribon in the professional division at your local state show how can it be fair to call your self a professinal and charge someone their hard earned money for crap taxidermy work. You wouldn't pay a muffler shop if when you went to pick your car up they replace what was on there with a soup can. If you cant make the animal that your mounting look anywhere close to what it is suppost to how can you feel ok charging someone for it? In my opinion you should at least be able to get a 3rd in the professional befor you can fell like ok I can make them look close enough to charge good money for this.

2. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

It would seem that that would be a good starting point. }if someone is that bad of a taxidermist, then he wont be in business very long so dont worry about it. What is he, cross town competition? Anyways, it doesn't take much to turn a nice looking mount into an honorable mention. JMO!

3. Bluffcountry

Bluffcountry bluffcountrywoodworks.com

If someone replaced your muffler with a soup can they probably did it on purpose. You don't need a fancy ribbon to prove you do professional taxidermy let alone, be able to charge for services rendered. With that said, ribbons will give you authority and more credibility of course.

There are always going to be both good and bad taxidermists, but just because one does not have a ribbon does not mean you shouldn't charge customers that is a little on the extreme wouldn't you agree?

4. What a load of crap!

5. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    I remembered Rick Carter in his A to Z saying that if you can't score mid 80's in the pro division you probably shouldn't be charging for mounts. So I personally decided to take his advice. I did not start my business or start taking on customers until I won red and blue at my state show in the pro divsion. That's just me and my choice though. I could care less if others don't do this and have no opinions.

6. The only opinion I really care about is my customers. Most of my people came from one of the big shops in my area to me. I am above average quality for my area. Never competed before. Some of the work that comes from shops around me is below average and it shows.

7. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Funny thread, it would put 80% or more of the professional taxidermists OUT or The Business.....

8. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

This is quite possibly the dumbest statement I have ever read on here

First let me give you a little bit of advice that an old VERY successful taxidermist gave me a long time ago" you can not eat that blue ribbon" there is nothing wrong with competing but.......build your freaken business many of the guys that compete so much have really crappy business's.

I can tell youthat I have a "world champion" not far from my shop that has a show room full of blue ribbons..... we he does alot of work for one of the guys in my church and to be blunt I WOULD NOT WIPE MY A$$ with his mounts. They are so bad I had to ask my friend if he was sure that we were talking about the same taxidermist? they are sooooo bad I have never even had an apprentice turn out such crap even on there first mount. I was totally embarrassed for both my friend from church and the taxidermist respondsable!

There is not a commercial piece of work out there that will score well in lets say the world show, Nothing leaving my shop will, nor Dennis Harris, Mike Boyce, Stewart Farnsworth, or any other professional shop. What you have to realize it a "customer" does not look at you mount with a tooth brush , a flashlight, and a magnify glass.

Don't get me wrong there are alot of people out there that really should not be charging for the CRAP they turn out........But there is no way you could possibly charge enough to do "competition work" for a customer. I could be wrong but I think Rick Carter told me once that he had over 1000 hours into one of his competition deer. No way to charge for that!!that deer would be $50,000. I will tell you though Rick turns out a hell of a nice commercial mount!!

SO let me offer some advice "you can not eat that blue ribbon!" learn to do what you do well, build your business, and consider competing as a learning tool.

Mike

9. J Brown II took the words right out of my mouth. All that matters is that your customers are satisfied with your work.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

What a dumbass comment. Rick may have made that statement and for him to do it was an offhanded remark. People who could pull an 80 in the Professional division of the NTA or World Show WOULDN'T NEED TO BUY HIS VIDEO.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Did you? Now the people that have won in the masters division can now say that anyone that hasn't won in the masters level should not be taking in customer work. Where does it stop? In stating that, you are saying that everyone has to join their state association, I agree it is a good choice but it should not be mandatory.I understand your frustration. Some of the crap put out there is ridiculous, but if their customers are happy who are we to say they can't do it. I believe the definition of professional is, you get paid to do something, not that you are any good at it. Just my take on this subject right or wrong. 3bears

12. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Free Market Capitalism...Anyone can produde anything they want and sucess is based on the market need and acceptance of what they produce.

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Some of the most award winning Taxidermists were the dumbest business people on earth..... what should you do with them??

Sorry, bit winning a ribbon in a Taxidermy contest and being a 'real' Taxidermist do not have a damn thing to do with each other.

14. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

What this post is really asking is, "should there be a competency standard before dealing with the public and actually being 'commercial'???" To be honest, I think that there should be a level of competency before opening a shop. There is such a level or education if you will for basically every OTHER form of business. Here in Kentucky all you have to do is have $150.00 and you're a taxidermist. To me, that's a crock. No competency, no business sense, no knowledge of the licenses needed, no nothing, just $150.00. It is a factory to spit out $250.00 deer head taxidermists but that is another story....

15. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Ribbon in state competitions or don't bother to go to shows has no bearing on you charging for your work or not. What it does show you is were you stand in reguards to your competition or your skill level. A lot of taxidermist get left behind in their ability to "keep up" with todays mounts by not going to shows and seeing whats out there in terms of quality. I know it was a real eye opener for me at my first competition. Your customer may be happy with your work now but when he see's or hear's about another taxidermist that is better than you, with web sights and taxidermist posting pics all over the internet, you may one day wonder were all your work has gone. Just my 2 cents.

16. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

It's a free market system we work in , you can charge whatever someone will pay for it, no matter what the quality is. Competitions are for improving your work, learning new techniques, making friends in the industry, and many other reasons, but to say you have to turn out an 80pt piece everytime they go out the door is ridiculous. No one can do that. There are too many contributing factors that effect each mount to promise they will all win 2nds in the competitions. Ribbons and titles are good advertizing tools if used in the proper way. They can be part of your credentials or resume for the new customer, but if you don't have them that doesn't mean you have to charge less. There are many talented people in our industry who are complete failures in business.
    In a nutshell, how many satisfied customers you have over the years will determine how much you can charge for your work, more than any other factor.

17. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

You can buy all the groceries you want AND have the ribbon.....if you enter competition with your customer mounts. Over the last 20 years or so, 90% of the mounts I've entered have belonged to clients. That includes World Show entries. It's not an "either or" proposition.

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Harry what kind of "competency" tests do those Gypsies selling velvet Elvis paintings at that abandoned filling station have? How about Bob Dylanor Eminem? Farmers? Carpet installers? Amish carpenters and masons? Look at the "competency" of school teachers. Ask Paul Czarneki how that played out in Pennsylvania. Hell, America elected a friggin moron with no experience other than "community organizer" as President.

19. gab

gab Active Member

yup.what about the guy that spends 8 weeks on a head to get a ribbon,uses his "expert"status to get clients and then spends 3 hours on their mounts or takes their deposits and skips town.all a ribbon means is that given unlimited time you can produce a good head.it doesn't mean you know jack about taking care of clients or even how to produce a commercial head.
    I will say though a guy with a productive business that can take his commercial work and get a ribbon on it,that is an impressive feat.

20. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I had been doing taxidermy for 42 years before I entered anything in competition. If the show had been farther than 45 minutes from my home, I wouldn't have bothered entering then. In Mississippi, a taxidermy permit cost $10, which makes anyone with $10 to spend on it a professional taxidermist, LOL!