1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

help color match

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bowhunter Nap, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Bowhunter Nap

Bowhunter Nap New Member

I have to repair the opposite so please help me color match this. what colors do I use?

Attached Files:

2. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Potassium Permanganate

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I have used minwax stains and they have worked for me. Have not used potassium but it must work because so many recommend it. A little secret, sometimes making the repair match the original doesn't work, so you may have to stain the other to match the repaired one. 9 times out of 10 nobody will know as longs as they look the same. 3bears

4. Bowhunter Nap

Bowhunter Nap New Member

The postassium does not stain the magic scuplt. So what do I need to do to make it stain it or how can i get the others to stain it?

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I have used bondo and apoxie sculpt to rebuild parts of antlers and I used minwax on them with success. Just let it soak in and don't remove too much of it. It may take more than one try to get it looking good. 3bears

6. livbucks

Oh, on rebuilds I airbrush them. Sorry.

7. Bowhunter Nap

Bowhunter Nap New Member

This is the side I need to match just the main beam tip and the g1,2 tines. Please tell me how to airbrush, this is my first rebuild.

8. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Just play with it, nobody can tell you how to do it. Play with the colors if you don't like it you can remove and start over.

9. livbucks

Ok, here's what I got:

Paint doesn't stick to antler or sculpt well at all. I take a brush and apply a thin coat of Bin 123 primer on it. Let dry really well. Then I mix up a color to match the base shade out of what I got on hand. Spray the base color. Then I mix a darker color to put spots, vein stains and scuffs. Look at the original and recreate any nuances you see like lines and speckles, dark spots etc. It is all trial and error. If it looks like crap, scuff it down with steel wool and start over. Don't know what else to tell you. When done you can put a little matte top coat on it and if it looks too much like painted antler, scuff it very lightly with steel wool to knock it down a little, but this must be done very gingerly. Off you go.