1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wrinkles in fish mount any suggestions

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by buget, May 1, 2007.

1. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I agree with Paul - if it's that thick you'd obliterate any scale detail, why would you want to use it??? I'm sure the gloss would be thinner where there were rises and thicker where there were dips - where the gloss would pool. And I could see how the pooling would work in your example of a board with pits in it Sparky. But how is it going to get rid of the high spots (peaks of the "wrinkles")??? It's not. Otherwise Buget wouldn't be seeing the wrinkles. I don't have to use the product to visualize the results. What you're explaining defies the laws of physics. Gravity simply does not work that way...

2. EMC

EMC New Member

I have been using eviortex for gossing fish for many years. I have removed it with paint remover and repainted many fish.

3. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

Marty- I have not used it for glossing fish either. The only stuff I have used it for is habitat, wood, etc. So from what I have seen with it(if it is applied the same as I have used it) you can pour it over a old pitted piece of wood, and it will turn out like glass. Without seeing his fish, I guess I cant visualize what he means by "wrinkles"...small like the joints in your fingers(which the envirotex would fill) or just a wavy skin, which it would not make smooth. Not wanting to start any pissing matches here, just trying to help.

4. oldyellowdog

oldyellowdog Member

I have not tried this on Envirotex, but have uesed an iron on several types of gloss, and YES it will heat the skin and shrink it like shrink wrap. Like I stressed before, put a peice of white paper over the fish, and gently apply the iron.... continue lifting the paper, and adding the heat. I have used this method for several years. if you use a cast head, the skin behind the gill cover sometimes doesn't get stretched tight enough and will wrinkle. common in dry ares of the country, when a storm will bring in humidity. or if you have a swamp cooler, and when you paint, your exhaust fan draws the humid air into your paint booth. hopes this helps. again any questions call me at 1-801-776-7091 thanks, Dan

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Gotcha Sparky - sorry, I don't have to pee right now either - lol! Just sounded to me by the description that the "wrinkles" are still visible which I assumed were significant enough that the gloss wasn't hiding them. But again, w/o a photo we are all just speculating. At least with all the different advice, Buget has several potential options to address the problem...

6. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

If memory serves me, that is the one of the main reasons it was being used by the shops where I saw it used as a gloss. It was very good at hiding all imperfections in the skin (as well as doing in all the scale detail). No thanks!

Paul B

7. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

Paul,
    That's why in my earlier remark I was kind of surprised it didn't obliterate the wrinkles. This stuff is thicker than molasses. When something is coated with envirotex it looks like there is a quarter inch of plastic over it. I use it for habitat scenes where I need it to look like a pool of water.

8. ewNVIROTEX LIKE WATER WILL SEEK ITS OWN LEVEL, BUT SINCE THE FISH SHAPE IS OVATE LOOKING FROM END TO END, IT WILL NEVER LEVEL OFF. sOUNDS LIKE YOUR skin was not glued down properly, or it was not dry enough yet to do finish work. Call the company that makes envirotex and see what they say about removal or softening. Might as well go to the horses mouth so to speak

9. swampfox

swampfox New Member

I used it back in the early ninties on a few fish. It made a super shiny, super thick gloss that did a super job of hiding scale detail. That is the main reason I quit using it. If you play with it you can make neat drops of water coming off the lower fins for a dripping wet fish look. On the fish I used it on, over several years it began to yellow with age. Just my observations and experience with the product.

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I would suggest NOT using environtex for glossing fish. It's like using bondo as an adhesive. Not what it's intended for and not only is it too thick IMHO (hides scale detail) but as the previous poster says it may yellow over time. I've heard this from several reliable sources so there must be something to it. I use it for special effects, but one thing that troubles me is I don't know how long it's been on the shelf when I purchase it, and have had some minor problems which can be attributed to it being too long on the shelf before use.

11. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

iron or hair dryer , I think your looking for trouble , I think your going to burn the skin and melt the foam.
    What if you clean it up to the skin , use epoxy , texture it , sculpt it so it matches the skin , paint that area .
    But this is only my opinion