1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tips on bear fleshing and tanning....

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by eatnmudd, Aug 3, 2012.

1. eatnmudd

eatnmudd New Member

I am going to flesh and tan a bear hide, I am a rookie at this so I need help. I shot a 300lb. black bear two years ago with my bow. funds have been tight, So I was not able to do anything with it. I want to do somthing here soon before it goes bad.

I would like any tips that would help me with this, I was told they are really hard to flesh (very greasy).
    Also how can you tell if the hide, nose, or ears are freezer burnt?

The skull and paws are folded in the middle of the cape (fur out) and then rolled up and placed in a heavy duty trash bag. It is in my chest freezer that is only opened maybe twice a year. Thanks for the feedback!!

2. ladyarcher726

ladyarcher726 2012: 1st & best of category

have you fleshed anything before? Aside from that, send it to a tannery, everyone will say the same thing, they can degrease it and tan it and it will be great, that's not something to tackle on your own, especially as a first timer, you don't want to lose that great bear!

Congrats on it too, that's a nice one!

3. eatnmudd

eatnmudd New Member

Yes I have fleshed deer, coons, foxes, and coyotes. but never bear that is why I was asking.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

You need to flesh the fat off all the way to the hair roots, and degrease it several times, if it is not degreased all of the way, it will stink like a fatty bear, even after tanned. You really should think twice about doing it rookie style. The tannery will do it right, sell some junk on ebay to pay for the tanning, it is well worth it.

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Tannery is the answer.

6. eatnmudd

eatnmudd New Member

Thanks for the info guys. is their a tannery that is a good choice?

Would I need to flesh it first?
    how much does it run?

and back to the freezer burn question..... how do you tell. I have not left anything in the freezer that long before.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

If we knew your location, someone could recommend a tannery close to you. Don't worry about freezer burn, let the tannery take care of that. The tannery may have a fleshing service for a fee, they would address any freezer burn issues, if there were any. All you would get back is a nice tanned bear skin.

8. eatnmudd

eatnmudd New Member

I live in northern Virginia, I just dont want to send it away and pay money and not have them do anything with it cause it is freezer burnt. thanks

9. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

There are good tanners all over the country.....WHERE are you located? Shipping isn't cheap so closer is better!

You should have frozen the head and paws on the outside, NOT the inside. Now, when the hide is thawed enough to work on, it will take the head and paws another day to thaw out. You're going to be working with a hide that will be ready for salt AND a head and paws that won't even be ready to skin, flesh and turn. But you will need to get some salt on the fleshed skin.... SO you end up with a skin that's draining on the rest of the work that you have to do. Been there, done that! I've had more than a few bears brought in that way over the years.

If it was properly wraped and sealed up in plastic, freezer burn should not be an issue. Actually, if it IS and issue, your lack of experience is eve more of a problem for you. It just makes a difficult job more difficult. Bear fat really isn't "runny" but it makes handeling the hide a "slippery" proposition.

A bear is NOT an ideal "beginner" project for learning how to properly flesh. And it's the last thing for a beginner to attempt to tan. Do yourself a BIG favor....find a tanner that handles both jobs and get it to them!

10. eatnmudd

eatnmudd New Member

lol thanks old fart!!