1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hare mask need critiques

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Rob58, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Rob58

Rob58 New Member

hi guys would like some critiques on this hair mask i'm working on i'm new to taxidermy so still have a long way to go but any thoughts as to what i can
    do to make it better. The neck is not great as the guy i got it from had drained the blood out buy cutting its throat it was a right mess.
    thanks for any info i get back.

Attached Files:

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Two things:

The ears are set too far back on the head.. Usually the earbutts of prey animal set on a line from the nostril throught the eye pupil to the back of the head. While you're at it, fill the ear butts a bit more.

And two, is the shape of the face. You have the nose pushed too far out. Both rabbits and hares tend to have a rounded muzzle. Find and use good reference materials.

3. Rob58

Rob58 New Member

Thanks George your advise is much appreciated and respected and I take on board your comments it was my first attempt
    At a hare. I thought there would be more wrong so am pleased overall and I don't think I could have got a better critique thanks George .

4. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Notice the placement on the ears on the head ...
    [​IMG]

In this overlay photo, you can see the ear canal in the skull. This is where the base of the ear butt of the Rabbit enters the skull, also illustrating the proper seating for those ears.
    [​IMG]

This not only shows ear placement in a frontal view, but also nose and muzzle shape.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

5. Rob58

Rob58 New Member

thanks john great help.

6. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

those are pictures of a rabbit, the guy has been workin on a brown hare 8) there is a differance ;)

7. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Rob,

Hares, Rabbits, Pikas, are all constructed the same ... meaning their respective 'parts' - eyes, ears, full soft nose, and full rounded muzzle with well placed whiskers, are all located and structured exactly the same. So don't worry about the pictures used. You have good, solid, reference information, and used correctly, your next Rabbit - or Hare - will be improved upon. That being said ... the Jack Rabbit, and many Domestic Rabbit are actually Hares ... go figure! ;)

With a head a bit longer than that of a Rabbit, and of course the longer ears, the Jack Rabbit exhibits the traits of the Hares more than the smaller Rabbits.
    [​IMG]

European Hare ...
    [​IMG]

Jack Rabbit aka: North American Hare ...
    [​IMG]

Any wonder these two are 'related'?

8. Rob58

Rob58 New Member

Thank you john i understand now you have said about the placement i will try again on a black rabbit i have.
    many thanks.