1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I hated krowtann 2000

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by done right taxidermy, May 1, 2007.

1. done right taxidermy

done right taxidermy New Member

i recently against my better judgement used krowtann 2000... i had great results with the 12 bobcat pedestals that i tanned and was very satisfied. i recently mixed a batch up consisting of 3 lifesize coyotes, 8 lifesize bobcats and 2 javelina shoulder mounts....... i just got done neutrilizeing them and i noticed some spots in the tails that were slipping badly..!!! i followed the directions and put wires with wickes in them; by the way was a pain in the a$$....and still got horrible results. these capes have NO stretch what so ever seem to drum because they are so oily.... ive even tried soaking them in coleman fuel.... didnt work.. i am very dissapointed in ozark woods for produceing a product that claims to be sooooooo easy and yet sooooo effective. i will definetly be calling them, first thing in the morning to share my feelings with them. i'm hopeing that i can share my info with everyone to save them the headaches ive gone through with this product..

2. Manny

Manny New Member

I just love the stuff !! Best stuff ever so easy and lots of stretch, Ill never use anything else

3. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Did you put all those skins in the same tan?

I have never had problems with Krowtann. It has actually saved a few iffy skins for me.

4. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

You say you put wires with wicks in the tails? If you used metal wires, that may cause you a problem. When I do not split the tails, all I do is poke a small hole in the end with a wire before I tan it. Then several times during the tanning, I use a syringe to force Krowtann into the tail.....never had a problem.

5. Best stuff since sliced bread. Easy directions, fast, great stretch, and did I mention easy. If your capes slip after tanning most likely they were bad from the start. Just my opinion.

6. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Do you think it could your fault? It seems funny that the majority of users have good luck with it and really like it. Maybe you should not have tried such a large batch. Also with such a large batch of skins you might not have mixed the skins up well enough. And I am not sure what you are talking about wick wires? I have heard of using yarn and cotton string to run thru the tail as a wick but not wire. I have had great luck personally with the original Krowtan and am planning on trying the 2000 soon. Sorry you had such a problem.

Todd B

7. Doylestudio

Doylestudio Active Member

Sounds like operater error to me. My guess it that with such a large batch, you probably over nuetralized the tan and that caused the slippage.
    I've never had a problem with Krowtann when used it
    according to the directions. As for the tails,
    I just use a wire long enough to reach the end of the tail on the inside.
    Everday while moving the skin around, I push the wire down into the tail
    and open it up enough to pour the solution down inside. Work it around a little
    and your done. No slippage.

Mike

8. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

done right may not be a good name for you

9. knock on wood, i've never had any problems with Krowtan...however, i try not to over load my tan with too many multiple hides.......maybe that was the effect....who knows.....good luck in the future sailor... :-\

10. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

I wonder why you had good results at first? Maybe smaller batches?

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

oooooh, that was COLD

12. MONSTER140

MONSTER140 New Member

ohio
    I have been experimenting quit a bit lately with great results may switch entirely to it

13. weekley2006

weekley2006 New Member

I have never had a problem with it I love it, but I don't over stuff the batch either. Good luck next time.

14. jcompton

jcompton “One of these days Alice. Pow!Right in the kisser"

Go ahead and call Ozark Woods, and when they are done with you, you can change your name to Cant Git Right Taxidermy

15. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Did you degrease them first?? It doesnt make sense it would be oily.. Ive mixed hides in one bacth.. Have not had any problems.. For tails that I dont split I run a piece of yarn as a wick and leave it in the tail until I do my final rinse.. Ive had lifesize coyotes, raccoons etc all in same batch. Havent had any problems.

16. Another testimony for Krow Preserve.

17. I have only done two wt capes so far with krowtann and I think that I am going to jump on the band wagon. GOOD STUFF!! The only thing I don't like about it compared to formic acid pickle and other tanning processes, is you don't get the plump you doo from formic acid, for shaving. Other than that so far it's treated me well. As far as your oily residue, try degreasing them first. I know what ever process I used I would degrease forst anyways.

18. I have had some bad slippage with Krowtann, but the fault was not the tan, it was other things. One batch, I put too many things in a small container. Another time, the skins were just not processed correctly before tanning. But otherwise, that is the best stuff I have ever tried. I gave several other tanning products a try, and it is not worth the effort, time and headache. I will stick with Krowtann.

19. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I'm a Krowtan fan as well. I've had only one small problem with with a little slippage on a fox's ear but I feel like it was the preparation not the tan that caused that. I've had really good results and, like Nina mentioned, has saved me on a few questionable skins. If I understood right, a wire was left in the tail with a wick. If that was the case, then that is probably the problem. It's suggested that a wire be used as a guide to insert a wick material (yarn or whatever), but I don't think you're supposed to leave the wire, or anything metallic in the tanning solution.

Bottom line is I love the stuff and it appears that I am in good company.

MLP

20. Doylestudio

Doylestudio Active Member

And 2 full pages of testomonies for Krowtann.Don't get jealous.

Mike