1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Old antlers

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by driftwoodhomes, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Looking for some ideas on fix weather antlers they have some small cracks and are sun bleached wanting to fix and stain

2. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

The only thing I have found that works worth a chit is Glazing Compound. You get it from the automotive supply store. It's expensive but is very paintable.

3. rebel0895

rebel0895 New Member

I'm not sure how bad yours are but I had a set still on the skull plate and the way I fixed / restored them is I used some fine grit sand paper 120 and I think 180 maybe 200 grit just to rough up and break through the hard bone outer coat, Then I used wood stain ( I think I used walnut and golden oak) to get the color I wanted, It turned out with dark in the ridged just like new, Then i used a matte / low shine sealer. They turned out just like they have just been harvested. I plan on buying a cape and mounting them up for my Dad since he shot the deer years ago.

4. Well, here's one way of doing it. This was a moose the customer shot 27 years ago and hung outside, expecting to shoot a larger one? Anyhow, he decided he'd like them restored and put on a plaque. They were about as weathered as you can imagine. I used apoxie sculpt and acrylic paints; however, I would recommend oil paints if you have time (acrylics are faster but require a little practice).

Here's just a sample of the weathering.

[​IMG]

Crack filling.

[​IMG]

The squirrels had their way with them... tine repair!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With extensive repairs, I like to start from scratch with colors (a blank palette).

[​IMG]

This was after much layering of paints.

[​IMG]

Now, I personally don't like shiny antlers, but... he wanted to hang these outside under the eaves of his business. So, I put a marine grade UV sealer on them.

[​IMG]

The end.

5. Chad

Chad Member

Ohio
    great job they look real good