1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Monitor vs skin

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Stef, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Hello , 2 months ago i mouted my first reptile, very happy with it , but the skin still flexible ans soft ... not hard like another skin.. is it normal ? On my side , i used my regular fish tanning technic and borax ... glue the skin with latex ... look like it dont dry ),,,,,

Nothing smell bad, very special to see, look like reel skin...

Thanks

Stef

2. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Your laytex sounds globbed up and wet. Not sure but post pics would love to see it. Good Luck. Dan

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Agree.....

Agree with Dan. It should have dried by now. I even use a coat of glycerin/alcohol and mine dry just fine. I use Dynamite 111 for hide paste.

:)

Kerby...

4. Here it my first reptile ... for sure not finish ..

Attached Files:

5. Brian gordan

Brian gordan New Member

Nice looks good

6. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I have had a similar problem with the legs of a large bird.
    The latex is your problem. Reptile skin doesn't have pores in it so it makes an airtight seal except for right around the seams. (I am guessing that your lizard feels much more solid in areas that are close to the incisions, right?)
    If that is the case then your best solution is to ventilate it. Use a small, sharp needle, like an insulin needle, and poke it full of very small holes close together, especially in the wettest areas. be careful not to poke through any of the scales - just go in between them. The holes should be practically invisible but they will still do the job.
    Even with the newly added "pores" it may take several weeks before it dries completely.