1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need to install a sink/wash tub in garage, got ?s

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jkjohn, Aug 12, 2012.

1. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

Well my wife has had enough of me going inside to fill up my 5 gal bucket to wash my hides in and I really need a wash tub inside my garage. Ive found one at lowes, and have a water hose right outside of the garage window i can get my water supply from, my question is how/where could i run the water to once it drains?? I was thinkin pvc but couldnt keep garage shut with that running out..Any Ideas?

2. doedumatch

doedumatch Member

Hammer drill a hole through the foundation in the garage wall. 1-1/2" would probably be sufficient.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I use a plastic garbage pail to rinse skins, keep it right outside by the outdoor faucet. Even in the worst of winter, I just dump it in the woods as we live next to some brush and timber.

4. Run a pipe out the wall and run it into your sewer line,, you may have to call a plumber

5. tem

tem Well-Known Member

get a 50 gallon barrel. drill holes in it. put it in the ground. put gravel around it. run your drain pipe through the top lid. berry it.

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Run a 1 1/2" PVC through the wall, then down to the ground. Just allow it to drain out onto the grass until someone starts complaining about it.

7. I would take and basically dig a trench out and away from the wall. Then run a pipe out a good piece. I think they actually make a sock that will go over the PVC, and drill holes all in it. Also put gravel around the pipe and then cover with dirt. I actually think it is called a "French Drain"

8. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I took mine in a 2" pvc and tied into a clean out sweep in my sewer.

9. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Tell your wife to stifle it. Then it's business as usual.

10. krollh

krollh Active Member

I had the same problem.
    I installed a utility sink in the garage and it was the best thing I ever did. Handy for much more than just washing hides.

I tied into the copper water lines that run from the water softener/bladder tank. If you have a outside spicket you must have water lines in the vicinty.
    My drain/sewer line was actually overhead since i have a raised ranch with the utilities on the second floor.
    I bought a enclosed pump (home depot) that is tied in with pvc to the sink drain, then up to the house drain. The pump needs electric (110) so hopefully you have an outlet close. I didn't so I had install one.
    You do have to run a vent line from the pump, I ran mine out the wall, again pvc.

Kind of a multi craft job, some soldering, pvc and maybe some drywall if you need to cut any to access the pipes. Possibly electric if you don't have an outlet and need a pump because your lower than the existing drain.
    If you can locate the sink where it is the easiest access to your existing utilities then it saves some work.
    Definetly worth doing right and not running hoses through windows or doors.

11. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

I was lucky and had a sink in the laundry room on the other side of the wall. I cut out the sheet rock, spliced in a "Y" in the drain and tapped off flex lines from the hot and cold and I was set.
    In your case, I would for sure just run the drain out the side wall and depending on what is out there, run it in a clean out, or a sunken barrel with holes in it??? Make sure you strain tour waste water.

Attached Files:

12. Just got done turning my garage into my shop. This is what I did. Went to Lowe's and got 1/2 inch black water line and tied it into my main water line for my house. Dug a ditch BELOW frost line, not sure where you're from but for me I went 3.5 to 4 foot deep. I ran my waterline inside 4 inch drain pipe with a good nylon rope alone with it just in case I ever need to pull something else into the shop. Saves you from digging up your yard again. Then I cut a 1x1 foot hole in the floor for my water line and drain to go through. Because hot water is really nice to have I also picked up a 2.5 gal electric water heater that works great. My sink is just a plastic wash tube also from Lowe's. For my drain pipe it's 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe drained into about 3 ton of gravel and covered with dirt. In my eyes if you're going to do it why not do it right the first time I hate doing things over again. Hope this helps you out.

13. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

If you go into a clean out by your house make sure your drain pipe is the right slope. I made mine 3:1 so all along the pipe when I put the level on it there was one bubble of difference. In other words, the bubble was just outside the line.

14. Roberttaylor

Roberttaylor New Member

When installing a new sink in one's home there will definitely be a need for sink plumbing supplies. Sinks plumbing is a far easier endeavor if the sink installer has all of the sink plumbing supplies that he or she requires before beginning the sinks plumbing project. Finding sinks plumbing supplies on the Internet can save the homeowner considerable funds, and can make the sink plumbing endeavor a bit more affordable too.

15. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

I think he got it in by now, this post is over a year old????

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

But Doug,,, it was so informative,,,,

17. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

My sink would be layin' out in the yard a year later, like 99 other unfinished projects I have...I think the topic is still timely!!!!