1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

crocodile mounting ?

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Keith, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I have a 14' croc to put together. I have done a smaller 4 alligator and a bunch of croc and gator rugs...(but rugs don't really count ;D) rhinos, and elephants, so feel competent to take on the project.

The skin comes together on the form quite nicely I think... got lucky...but what can I expect for shrinkage? On the main body, the skin comes together without the skin in between the plates stretched.

Second question, but related to shrinkage. The legs seem short on the form, according to the skin and very loose. I am using the McKenzie CRC302LS. If any one has experience with that form, are the legs short, or should all that skin be gathered up?

2. Maribeth

Maribeth Member

The legs are a bit short in my opinion. I lengthened them and re-poured some foam instead of trying to tuck or bunch up the skin. A pain I know, but looks better than tucking etc, unless you can conceal it well. My customers look and scrutinize. if something is a slight bit wrong I will hear about it and have to fix it. :)

3. I think if you have the skin matching up well like you said, you will be fine. Something I have done on crocs, gators and even on an elephant on the trunk was to grind out a place in the form where you can inset a piece of wood along the seam line flush with foam where you can take your air stapler and staple the incision closed instead of sewing it and it will make your finish work much easier. I used this on the trunk of the only elephant I have done and it worked great. I also used magic smooth as a glue on the seams and there was very little finish work. You will have more problem getting the smell out of the croc's head if yours is like some we have done. Let me know if you are battling that and we can help.

4. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Thanks Guys. I still haven't mounted it yet. I got sidetracked. The form is almost ready. I had to wait for some iron frame work. The mount is going to be "free floating" of the wall and I need to install the metal framework. At that time I am going to install some wood along the seam...that is a great idea.