1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anyone need help getting caught up with deer and gameheads? Yox is travelling...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bill Yox, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I just moved to north Georgia and Im not all the way set up for the locals just yet, Im just teaching so far. So, Im looking to see if guys are needing a weeks worth (or more) of high quality whitetail help, or other gameheads. Give me a ring at 585-637-2450 and lets see whats feasible!

2. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

I would love to have you in my shop for a day, but I don't think I could afford it. The critique you gave me on my Deer head at the Ohio show was very helpful, I can't imagine how much i could learn one on one for a day or two.

I have been critiqued several times on whitetail from some of the best. From what I can tell there are 2 types of judges, the guy that wants you to know how much he knows and how good he is, and the other is a guy who is confident in what he knows so he isn't worried about proving it to you, he just wants you to understand why you got the score you got. I would say you are in the second catagory for sure. I was glad to have met you and got a chance to talk taxidermy face to face.

3. Bill Yox

Thanks Dave, as I said that day, I like your work, its very well done. As for this offer, to clarify, I am looking for studios that are needing to hire a good gamehead guy to mount up a bunch of heads to help get them caught up. Teaching is optional, lol. Im looking to work for them, their studio or mine, as I transition from NY to GA...

4. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

I see. Well like i said i would like to have you but only have a dozen or so left and i would have to have a significant price increase. ;D

5. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

So what made you leave this wonderful and highly taxed state.

6. Bill Yox

A girl named Rebecca. 8)

7. Bill You must not realize, for you to come work a week in someones Else's shop. You would be teaching the whole time even if you never said a single world the whole time. I for one wouldn't get nothing done for just trying to watch you.

8. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    How are you at running a dozier and putting up game fence? And would you be comfortable sleeping in a deer barn.......with the deer? Also.. I will need references from your former employer ;)

9. Ron that's better than making him sleep with the dogs ! LOL

10. Bill Yox

Ron, Id jump on that in seconds, Ive stretched my share of fence for sure. Ive run skidsteers, so a dozer would be fun. Guys, I lost just about everything in my divorce and subsequent court appearances, so I am looking to work. No big name identity and stuff, just work to help me back on my feet and to help someone who needs it. I can teach or just mount wholesale. Lol, Ron Ive had a few overnight deer in the house, but havent slept out in their barn...yet! Oh and I lost all them too...

11. double shovel

double shovel SilverWillowTaxidermy

would you travel to Canada? Do you charge by the animal or hour?

12. Bill Yox

Id say anything is do-able if we put our heads together and plan !

13. WFT

WFT New Member

where in north georgia?

14. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama

15. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Oh Great.. Another Joe Smoe claiming to be a taxidermist wanting someone to hire him without providing a resume, work history, or scrapbook of past work done. Go to school kid. Get a REAL job and do taxidermy as a weekend hobby and leave the taxidermy dream as a livelihood in the play book. Talk to REAL taxidermists in your area and see how they are doing. Perhaps an apprenticeship would be a good place to find out if this business is really for you. It's a long road kid. Not many shops out there willing to take on a rookie, unless sleeping floors is in area of expertice. Good Luck kid. Maybe see if anyone has any of those Elwood Taxidermy books laying around you could borrow and try doing a few things on your own first. You'll find it's not as easy as it looks. Once you've actually completed someone from start to finish on your own, take it around and show it to potential employers. You never know, someone may just find that you have some talent worth investing into. Again, Good Luck Kid. I hope it all works out for you. But expect a few doors to get slammed in your face before you find one that will open the door for you. Taxidermists can be a little touchy when they think someone wants to steal their secrets from them without paying for it.

16. LMOA Antlerman!!!!!!!!

17. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Whoa Timmy! Waiting for the non-knowers-of-others-relationshippers to bring out the claws!! That's perdy funny there. I wish I could afford you Bill! I am still trying to get my head above water from our loss last winter. Getting there- but not quite there...lol. I think I have as many medium and smaller mammals as I do whitetail though.

18. Bill Yox

WFT, Im in waleska outside of canton, a bit south of you. Sarah honey, when I get back on my feet Ill come get psycho and tim and we will get you going.

19. Welcome to south of the Mason-Dixon line Bill!

20. Yea Bill Weclome to the South. You will have to lean the use of the word Ain't , and Grits for breakfast. LOL