1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Alum tanning recipe please.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by monarch, Aug 15, 2012.

1. monarch

monarch Member

Hi, guys - I have been using Lutan for many years and recently changed to an Alum/salt tanning solution. However, I have conflicting advice on the mixture. One top taxidermist told me to mix 1 gallon per pound of Alum and per pound of salt. Another taxidermist says to mix 1 gallon per pound of Alum, but 2 1/2 pounds of salt mixed in another four gallons of water, then mix together. I am confused to say the least. What is right please guys. The first solution does seem rather strong however, but help! Bill.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Monarch, if you look above you'll see a "Search:" block. Type in "Alum Tanning Recipe"

3. monarch

monarch Member

Hi, George - thanks for the info. However, I have searched there, but then again I could have missed something. Cheers, Bill.

4. monarch

monarch Member

Nope - nothing there George?

5. Not to be a wise guy, but why don't you just go back to the Lutan if it's been working for you? Sounds to me like you have two people who really don't know how to use alum giving you advise anyway. The first guy is using way too much alum and salt both for a tan, the second guy confuses me too!

6. George

Hmmm, I typed in "alum tanning recipes" and I got http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,50765.0.html

Most of the advice there also shadows what Keith is telling you. With all the great products out there today, I don't understand why anyone would use alum except for making pickles.

7. sportsmen wildlife

sportsmen wildlife New Member

I agree with George and Keith. But if you choose to use alum, Jim Allred supply has what to me seems like a good recipe on his website, and seems like the step's are in good order. If you are tanning cape's or life size's to mount I would not experiment with any others than extra's. Alum can shrink hide's A LOT if not done properly.(No stretch).

8. monarch

monarch Member

Got that too George - but it didn't really help.

9. monarch

monarch Member

George - I have used Lutan for years on deer but sometimes got hair slippage on Foxes and a taxidermist told me the best tan to set the hair was Alum. I have mounted several Fox with it and no hair slippage so far - just wanted to know the right strength as I felt it was rather heavy with the mix per gallon compared to other tans, plus the other taxidermist quoted a total of five gallons to the mix?

10. George

Obviously I don't know your "taxidermist" friend, but his comments surely make by bull$hit meter start to raise. Too often people rely on their "tan" to make up for their ineptness. That's not implying "YOU" per se, but from the moment that animal stops pumping blood, deterioration begins. If the guy rides it around the neighborhood for a couple days or the temps are above 70, nothing your tan or even your pickle can do is going to stop that.

Canids and felines are the worst and the usuall spot is the earbutts or pits under the legs. Stop Rot can help a bit, and a strong pickle (I prefer an acid pickle) will assist you in preventing it, but remember, once slippage starts, NOTHING stops it. You're reverting back to an antiquated method that was replaced by products like Lutan. I fear it's not going to be the panacea your "taxidermist" implied.

11. monarch

monarch Member

Cheers George - appreciate your kindness and bluntness too! The taxidermist is well respected and top of the game in the Uk (He also won top awards at the recent world show)
    and is also on Taxidermy.net too. You are right about the spots where hair/fur slippage occurs on the Foxes, I also get a little around the mouth sometimes. Bill.

12. Try just using the same steps as you do with Lutan, only bump it up to 8% total in the form of two feeds of 4% about an hour apart, see how that works for you.